My laptop randomly disconnects from WiFi (Windows 7)

liamsek

Reputable
Mar 8, 2015
Hello all

I have had this problem for about a month or two and have searched everywhere for a solution and to try and identify what is actually causing it to happen. My connection will drop and the yellow icon will appear over the bars in the bottom right. For a minute or so I can still see available networks, then it will go to a red cross icon and I cannot pick up any networks. If I restart my laptop (or sleep it) then it will pick up the network again.
I have read lots of posts about problems with windows 8, but I am using windows 7 so I don't believe this can be the cause.

I know that it is not to do with the connection because other devices are connected and it happens when I am on other networks.

My laptop is an acer aspire 5750 and is a few years old.

liamsek

Reputable
Mar 8, 2015
Hi mibix19 - Yes I've downloaded the driver from the acer website after searching for the correct one using the laptop model but this didn't solve it.

liamsek

Reputable
Mar 8, 2015
hi adeathsmckitten1 - no its fine, why would the driver suddenly stop working though? I feel like it might just be that my laptop is old, it overheats and turns off, could this be possible?

liamsek

Reputable
Mar 8, 2015
anyone else have any ideas? something else I noticed is that the speakers crackle for a few seconds before it disconects. I don't know if this indicates anything.

liamsek

Reputable
Mar 8, 2015
Further information - this also happens when the laptop is connected via ethernet (therefore I guess the title is wrong now)

Im starting to think that it could be some kind of virus..does anyone know anything about this and can help?

PetrosFr

Reputable
Jun 18, 2015

I have exactly the same problem acer 5750g Atheros arb597 wifi card, i hear some kind of noise wifi drops every time i move my laptop,connects again only with restart or sleep mode...i cant find any solution either