Question My laptop randomly shuts down on battery after installing a secondary SSD

Apr 23, 2020
I own an Acer Aspire E5-575-53vg (https://www.cnet.com/products/acer-...5-6200u-8-gb-ram-256-gb-ssd-us-international/). The laptop is about 4 years old. I haven't made any hardware changes to it previously. The laptop has an NVME m.2 (256 GB) installed as the main drive, but it also has a SATA 2.5" connector.

I recently bought a Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SATA 2.5" SSD to use as my secondary hard drive and increase my storage space. After installing the SSD, I started to notice some problems with my laptop when running on battery. Everything works just fine as long as the laptop is plugged in. However, when the laptop is running on battery it starts to shut down at random times. Sometimes it shuts down after 10 minutes, sometimes after 30 minutes or more, but it could also happen that it keeps running until the battery is empty. If it shuts down at random times before the battery is empty, I can restart the laptop normally and the battery icon is still showing that the laptop is charged. I can't really see a pattern in this behavior, but it started occurring as soon as I added the new SSD.

I actually removed the SSD yesterday to see if the problem goes away, but somehow the problem persists. When I added the hard drive the first time I turned the laptop off, but didn't disconnect the battery. Could the SSD have somehow messed with the battery circuits? Or could it just be that the battery is dying of age? Seems weird though that this problem started exactly after adding the SSD. I also tried to adjust the power setting when plugged in and on battery, but it didn't help.

Thank you so much for all your answers in advance. I am not super tech savy, so I don't know what to look out for.

First remove battery and power cable both, press power button 30sec. Plugin both back and try if problem persists. If still problem continue below:

1. Update bios, download latest version 1.47 (Fine tune DRAM compatibility. ) https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/6737?b=1
First check that your battery is 50% or more, plugin power cable, disable antivirus until next boot, close all games and apps, Continue with the bios update exe file.

2. replace battery with genuine one, no replacement from china

Aug 13, 2020
Hi, did u solve your problem? i have the same problem . When i replace the HDD for one SSD M.2 kingston A400, When i replaced the HDD for one SSD M.2 kingston A400, the laptop started to shut down randomly but with the same percent charge battery.

TRENDING THREADS