My laptop requires a 4.74A charger, but i only have a 3.42A charger, is it an issue ?

Qattos

Commendable
Jul 21, 2017
My +3 years old laptop has been working fine using the 3.42A charger, but now it keeps restarting when i'm gaming, games that used to work normal before, i looked for it on the manufacturer's website, and they said i should have had a 4.74A charger.

When i enable low CPU power usage in the setup, the laptop doesn't restart ever, but it's slower than a snail, so i figured the issue could be related to power usage, i already determined it's not an overheating issue, i tested it out using AIDA64 and the CPU reached 98 C and the GPU reached around 90 C but it didn't crash or restart.

My questions are, could using a low Amperage charger ruin your laptop over the long term ? what are the consequences of that ?

Solution
Those requirements are there for a reason. A 3.42A power supply is NOT able to supply adequate power to a device that requires a 4.74A power supply, and, over time, may cause damage to both the unit under power and the power supply itself. Consider yourself lucky that the power supply hasn't failed in a decidedly fiery fashion due to the overload.
Those requirements are there for a reason. A 3.42A power supply is NOT able to supply adequate power to a device that requires a 4.74A power supply, and, over time, may cause damage to both the unit under power and the power supply itself. Consider yourself lucky that the power supply hasn't failed in a decidedly fiery fashion due to the overload.

Solution