My laptop resets when trying to boot usb mass storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2018
Hi. I have an old laptop dell latitude d410 with no hard disk. I tried to put windows xp bootable on an usb stik, i tried different usb sticks and windows versions, but after the dell startup logo dissapears, it just resets. Then it tries to boot the usb again...and again...and again without booting.
Also the laptop fan is not conected to the motherboard, but its on an usb so it always spins at max speed. The laptop should work but for some reason it resets on booting. Note that it did that even before puting the fan on usb. Il even make a vid of what it dids if u didnt understand, link here https://youtu.be/zEHAX8o5LKg .
And sorry for my crappy english :)

May 2, 2018

I used Rufus to make a bootable USB with an win xp. If it has nothing to load it will just say to press f1 or something like that and retry. Update: Now I found another portable version, and this time I tried using DriveDroid on my phone to boot the win from with phone via USB cable. I mounted the IMG in DriveDroid, then I started the laptop, and the win xp logo showed and started loading. I though that it finally works...but after 2 seconds from the win xp startup logo, blue screen of death. It was in German so idk what it said. But it had no seconds countdown until it auto-resets. So I think the laptop has a problem, maybe broken/faulty hardware.

Could be, however that doesn't explain the change in language. Are you sure the copy you tried to install isn't in another language? Part of the problem could also be that you are trying to do it from a phone. Even with the apps that they have to try and make it work, there are more problems doing it that way than from say a thumb drive.

May 2, 2018

Ill try making another usb with unbuntu or freebst to see if they crash too. Ill try unbuntu on phone too. Maybe one of them will work I hope. The windows xp portable was the only portable version i could find on the internet torrents, others had no seeders, so i dont have another win to test

May 2, 2018
Tried Linux lite from DriveDroid, it kind of works. It boots, it enters the is desktop but some programs simply don't open for some reason. But at least it booted. But why can't it boot windows xp too?

May 2, 2018
I added the old hdd it had with bads just to be there in the laptop. Now it doesnt reset, it can boot both phones and usb sticks, it just had to have a hdd there wenether its used or not. Now linux works fine, windows xp boots, so I think i can say problem solved

Status
Not open for further replies.