My Laptop runs games like crap even when it has decent specs.

Mar 20, 2020
Hello

This question has been asked here a dozen times but here I go. Basically I have an MSIGE72mvr 7RG Apache Pro laptop. I will leave the actual specs of it bellow the post. Every time I try to run games like Insurgency Sandstorm or Battlefield 5 it seems to struggle with frame rate even thought my laptop hardware far surpasses the recommended specs for both games. I also noticed that its harder to run BF 5 now then from when I actually started to play that game. Before I used to be able to run it on ULTRA settings with a bit of stutter and now there are massive frame issues. Another thing I noticed when i check the task manager is that the memory of the laptop is at least at 35-40 percent when on idle. Let me know if this is a normal thing with gaming laptops and such.

Here are my specs.

CPU Intel I7-7700HQ 2.80Ghz

GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB

RAM 16 GB

The monitor is your typical 120 Hz 1080 display.

C drive has a samsung SSD with 250 GB

D drive has a samsung SSD with 2 TB

Temps during gaming

GPU 80-90 C

CPU 95 C

I already contacted msi about these temperatures and they said its normal, tho i am not sure if its true.

not you

Distinguished
May 14, 2015
Yeah the temps are kind of toasty but normal for laptops :/

Could you check the cpu and gpu clockspeeds when gaming?

Absolutely not normal it should be 20-25 max if you have no background programs like windows update doing things

BF5 isnt supposed to be more difficult to run now
Compared to when it was released
And yes your specs are plenty to run it

For now my only suggestions from personal experience would be:
Make sure to turn off rtx (nvidia enabled it for gtx cards too)
And plug the laptop in the wall when gaming (im not sure if im the only one who made this mistake but this was the biggest performance fix for me xP)