Question my laptop screen becomes black and nothing responds

peddintikartik

Commendable
May 22, 2018
Hi, recently my laptop is having some trouble. When I open a PDF and start reading I don't touch anything. Then the screen fades to black(probably the screen turns off) now it should come back when I touch my keyboard or mouse but it doesn't. Nothing works on the laptop neither the keyboard nor the touchpad. I then have to manually power off the laptop by hard pressing the power button and then restart. Event viewer reported a critical error. Error 41. Below is the XML generated by Event Viewer. What is the underlying issue? hardware or software? All the drivers and BIOS is up to date Any help is appreciated.

CONFIG:
NAME: HP pavilion 15-cc134tx
CPU: i7-8550U
RAM: 8GB
GPU: Nvidia 940MX 4GB

- <Event xmlns=" ">

- <System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />

<EventID>41</EventID>

<Version>6</Version>

<Level>1</Level>

<Task>63</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-05-06T17:51:12.278122700Z" />

<EventRecordID>8017</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>LAPTOP-G9R5VD68</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

</System>

- <EventData>

<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>

<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>

<Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>

<Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>

<Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>

<Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">4</Data>

<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">false</Data>

<Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Hi, recently my laptop is having some trouble. When I open a PDF and start reading I don't touch anything. Then the screen fades to black(probably the screen turns off) now it should come back when I touch my keyboard or mouse but it doesn't. Nothing works on the laptop neither the keyboard nor the touchpad. I then have to manually power off the laptop by hard pressing the power button and then restart. Event viewer reported a critical error. Error 41. Below is the XML generated by Event Viewer. What is the underlying issue? hardware or software? All the drivers and BIOS is up to date Any help is appreciated.

CONFIG:
NAME: HP pavilion 15-cc134tx
CPU: i7-8550U
RAM: 8GB
GPU: Nvidia 940MX 4GB
The event ID 41 is not helpful since it only tells something you already know, that your system has rebooted without shutting down properly.

Are you able to wake up the laptop from sleep mode if you manually put the laptop into sleep mode?

peddintikartik

Commendable
May 22, 2018
The event ID 41 is not helpful since it only tells something you already know, that your system has rebooted without shutting down properly.

Are you able to wake up the laptop from sleep mode if you manually put the laptop into sleep mode?
first of all, thank you for the help.
Yes but it takes a lot of time like 6-7 seconds which is unusual

peddintikartik

Commendable
May 22, 2018
I booted into safe mode and found that there is no sleep option. In safe mode when I close the lid it automatically shuts down. Is this normal? If sleep is "normally" available in safe mode then its a hardware issue. Recently spoke to HP rep and they arranged a technician visit to my place as my unit is under extended warranty. Hope they solve the issue

Which version of Windows 10 do you have?
Make sure to have the latest version (The latest version is 1809 17763.xxx)
Use the HP Support Assistant app to check for new drivers and updates.

Maybe you need to enable the keyboard to wake up your laptop from sleep.
Go to Device Manager.
Click the arrow next to Keyboards then double-click on the HID Keyboard Device.
Under the Power Management tab, select the box next to Allow the device to wake up the computer. Click OK and close Device Manager.
Place the laptop into sleep mode and after 10 minutes try waking it up by tapping a key on the keyboard.
If that did not do anything then...
Disable 'Fast Startup'
Go to "Control Panel" click "Power options'.
On the left pane Click 'Choose what the power buttons do'.
Click the 'Change settings that are currently unavailable' link
Under 'Shutdown settings' uncheck 'Turn on fast startup'.

Last edited:

peddintikartik

Commendable
May 22, 2018
I am on 1809. The keyboard and mouse are configured to wake my laptop from sleep. HP support assistant says that all drivers are up to date. Can you please give me an answer to #7 message in the discussion

peddintikartik

Commendable
May 22, 2018
Sleep is not be possible in Safe mode. You may have to wait for the next bios update to solve that problem.

Also, what PDF reader are you using? Are you reading pdf's online, or those saved on your hard drive.
The pdf is open in edge browser and is locally stored on my SSD. As mentioned earlier technician visited my place. He told me that motherboard is having some kinda issue. They will be giving me a new motherboard. I'm covered under extended warranty and my warranty( original 1year ) expired in March. That's very scary that the product failed one month after the warranty expired. Thank god I'm covered for one more year. Otherwise that's almost 3/4th of the laptop's price.

peddintikartik

Commendable
May 22, 2018