Question My laptop speed is only 50Mbps with 100Mbps connection

lynx1021

Distinguished
I have a Toshiba C55-A5310(type N Wi-Fi) Windows 8.1bios 1.40 Laptop and recently I checked my home wireless speed an found I was only getting 50Mbs on wireless but 95Mbs on ethernet cable. I looked on Toshiba's support site for newer drivers but the numbering makes it impossible to see what is the newest Realtek driver. Recently bought a new router, TP-Link 1750AC A7 because I was only getting 50Mbs on a IAN cable to my desktop through an old Belkin 300 N router. Is there anyone that knows better drivers for my laptop?

That's kinda normal for Wifi. You will rarely hit the max sustained speeds on offer. You can try an extender to increase the range, or if your router is dual band (2.4ghz/5ghz) try switching to 5ghz. It has higher sustained speeds, but lower area coverage.

You could also try a power line connection. You plug one into a socket close to your router, and plug it into the router with Ethernet cable. Then plug the other one into a socket where your laptop is based. Then you can get good speeds, and it's like it's plugged directly into the router.

lynx1021

Distinguished
Thanks for the reply's , I was at my brothers last weekend and he only has a 7Mbps connection and I was getting 6.91Mbps. Yes the Laptop is N but I thought the speed for N was up to 300Mbps. I would think it would handle 100Mbps. The TP-link 1750 is an AC router, Maybe I can turn off the 5GHZ to see if it would be faster on N. I was thinking it was something to do with my drivers on the laptop. Hmm, I could try that ArcherT2U to see if it is the laptop wireless card issue or something else.

lynx1021

Distinguished
Thanks for the replies, I went ahead and bought an Archer T2U and installed it and I am getting 95Mb/s down load with it, the specs on the laptop say 2.4GHz Type N Wi-Fi so it has to be the drivers or some setting is messed up on my built in Wi-fi only getting 50Mb/s on a 100Mb/s connection.
Edit: Oh also I checked the laptop with a wired Lan connection (Atheros LAN) and got 98Mbps download, that's better than my desktop! The wireless is Realtek Wireless.

Last edited: