Question My laptop temps are around 75-80 celsius on idle, and reaches to 105 when gaming

Nov 15, 2020
Even after reapplying thermal paste (spread meathod, peasize/small grain of rize amount) and cleaning the fans dust-free, my laptop still sits around 75-80 degrees celsius on idle

Intel core i5 3210m 4 cores 2 threads, 2.9ghz turbo
8gb ram hynix ddr3
windows 7 64 bit
gt 640m 2gb

HOW I REAPPLIED THERMAL PASTE:
I put the paste in my cpu in a line shape, a dot for the gpu (i followed the recommended small amount similar to a pea or grain of rice), then i spread it with the oem spreader that came with the arctic mx-4 (2019 version).

i screwed the screws with the springs on em, i couldnt screw it to the point where the springs are fully closed (internet said not to, anyway). I followed the numbering orders, too. For good measures, i still pressed down the heat sink of the cpu and gpu (around the middle) in hopes of improving thermal past spread even more.

I used a cheap cooling pad and it didnt help, anyway.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You don't need a fancy spreader, rather that the mounting of the screws will apply pressure to spread the thermal paste across the heatware. Speaking of spreading, how much did you apply? Please use an image of your application(not someone else's) to verify you didn't put too much on the processor and GPU.

Are you on the latest BIOS update for your laptop's motherboard? Make and model of your laptop? Which OS are you on?

As for tightening the screws, finger tight, not elbow wrenching tight.

Nov 15, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You don't need a fancy spreader, rather that the mounting of the screws will apply pressure to spread the thermal paste across the heatware. Speaking of spreading, how much did you apply? Please use an image of your application(not someone else's) to verify you didn't put too much on the processor and GPU.

Are you on the latest BIOS update for your laptop's motherboard? Make and model of your laptop? Which OS are you on?

As for tightening the screws, finger tight, not elbow wrenching tight.

Good evening, king!
Im using an acer v3 571-g.. For the BIOS, i am using the OEM v0.5 (not the latest.)I will do what you requested, ill send it here once im done doing so.

For the meantime, should i update my BIOS? i've also read that i shouldnt, not unless i rlly need to.

Nov 15, 2020
Good evening, king!
Im using an acer v3 571-g.. For the BIOS, i am using the OEM v0.5 (not the latest.)I will do what you requested, ill send it here once im done doing so.

For the meantime, should i update my BIOS? i've also read that i shouldnt, not unless i rlly need to.
btw, windows 7 64bit SP1

Nov 15, 2020
I have updated my bios to 1.13 (latest), no changes to the temps. I even updated it to a modified version to unlock the advanced menu and to force the fans to operate at 100% everytime, still the temps are high