[SOLVED] My laptop turns off when it heats up

Feb 22, 2019
So the first time it happened I wasn't doing anything that would make my laptop hot I was afk with chrome and Spotify open and right when I came back it turned off Tried booting it up again but it wouldn't, I left it to cool down removed the battery and placed it again and it turned on

The Second time happened about 2 hours later I was just about to start a game of fortnite So i suspected that it might have heated up and had to repeat the same thing for it to turn on again

I did a test the third time, installed HWmoniter and watched the Temps , when it shut down the CPU temperature was at 70C-75C My GPU temperature was at 100C The fan was working probably I can hear it

I had this laptop for about 3 years now and this is the first time this happens to me and wonder what could the reason be?

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite l50
Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5 4210U
GPU: AMD Radeon R7 M260
GPU2: Intel HD Graphic family

Note: after it happened the first time I updated my BIOS version so there is that if its any useful also i apologize for any grammar errors as English isn't my first language

Solution
You know the answer already!
The laptop is running too hot, and we need to cool it down. It is shutting down so that is doesn't damage itself.

Cleaning out the machine is a great first step, compressed air, and a vacuum tip held about an inch away is a good start.
Invest in a cooling stand for your laptop, or even just elevate it - air flow is your friend. (I assume you are using it on a table anyway?)

If you are comfortable, you can eve open up the machine and replace the stock Hard Drive with an SSD, which will be faster, and run cooler than a HDD that has to spin up.
It's highly likely your laptop needs a good clean out. Use a can of compressed air, and clean out the vents. You can also try open areas on the chassis that you can, and clean those areas out too. Sounds like it's just got clogged up, and won't exhaust the heat properly. CPU hitting 75c will push the cooling of the laptop as will the very high temps on the GPU. This will cause thermal throttling or shutdowns if it's too hot.

If the cleaning doesn't work you may need to look at replacing thermal paste on either CPU/GPU.

Feb 22, 2019
It's highly likely your laptop needs a good clean out. Use a can of compressed air, and clean out the vents. You can also try open areas on the chassis that you can, and clean those areas out too. Sounds like it's just got clogged up, and won't exhaust the heat properly. CPU hitting 75c will push the cooling of the laptop as will the very high temps on the GPU. This will cause thermal throttling or shutdowns if it's too hot.

If the cleaning doesn't work you may need to look at replacing thermal paste on either CPU/GPU.
I will be trying that tomorrow But is it normal that the after it shuts down pressing the power key doesn't turn it on? and I have to remove the battery and put it again for it to work? also, I pressed the power key for 30 sec before I removed the battery not sure if it did anything

I will be trying that tomorrow But is it normal that the after it shuts down pressing the power key doesn't turn it on? and I have to remove the battery and put it again for it to work? also, I pressed the power key for 30 sec before I removed the battery not sure if it did anything

Not necessarily normal. However, if the laptop has gotten really hot, it may not start up again until it cools a little. It shuts down to protect itself. Try the cleaning, and let us know how you get on.

jamesanyoung

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2013
You know the answer already!
The laptop is running too hot, and we need to cool it down. It is shutting down so that is doesn't damage itself.

Cleaning out the machine is a great first step, compressed air, and a vacuum tip held about an inch away is a good start.
Invest in a cooling stand for your laptop, or even just elevate it - air flow is your friend. (I assume you are using it on a table anyway?)

If you are comfortable, you can eve open up the machine and replace the stock Hard Drive with an SSD, which will be faster, and run cooler than a HDD that has to spin up.

Solution