My laptop turns on but all I see is a black screen with my cursor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamond736

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
Yesterday it was fine but today when i turned it on all I saw was a black screen with my cursor that i could move. I've been searching for hours on how to fix this and tried to do all these commands people have said but nothing happens. Not sure if also my keyboard isn't working. Its a windows 8, got it less that 2 months ago. Anything I can do?

Solution
Hi, had the same problem 10 mins ago. Phoned a friend ( university lecturer on it). Hold down power button for 15 seconds , counting 15 , . Switch back on , wait 10 secs ( to see wjat happens) . Phone me back any problems. Didn't need to , it works fine now. Hope you have success.

Insane NiTEmare

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
I've had this in Windows 7 Ultimate x64 but I just let it sit and load the rest of the assets, if you haven't tried that then try it first. If that isn't enough then Windows 8 supports a "refresh" mode that might fix your problem by resetting all system settings to default, and from what I remember you can access it by pressing F8 while loading windows, and inserting the installation disc and selecting refresh PC.

If you can't boot into Windows then you'll need a Repair disk/drive or an Installation disk. If you have neither, get a friend to create one for you on a Windows 8/8.1 machine. Simply type ;Create' at the Start Screen and choose 'Create a Recovery Drive' (From 'Settings' in W8)
Use Troubleshoot and Advanced Options, then try System Restore to a point prior to your problem

Jaziel

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014

Jaziel

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014
I have thesame problem and i just bought my asus x200ca laptop a week ago .. I really dont know what to do .. I tried pressing f8 but nithing appears i even tried the ctrl+alt+delete its not working pls help me :(

Idrusia

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014

I have a window's 8 Accer, iv had this problem as well, been searching and all the stuff appears to be the same. I see load up, then black screen and my mouse can move. But i tryed to let it load up for 5-10m and nothing. It was working fine this morning but now its not. I can press the ctrl+alt+del and get that screen up and clicked on task manager. I COULD pull up task manager and it said that no apps were running and the system checks were fine nothing abnormal. I havn't done anything new to my laptop either. Idk what it is but this seems to be a manufacturing's problem.

rpchemist84

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014
The same thing happened to my asus windows 8 laptop . It's only few months old. Let me know how you fixed yours.

Have you tried creating a Repair drive on another PC? You'll need a small USB Flash, 2Gb plenty.
Access your BIOS by whatever Function key is appropriate and change your Boot order to make USB 1st. Once booted you can get into Advanced Mode via Troubleshooting and try various options there. Try 'Restore' first...

Uzair Siddiqui

Reputable
Nov 10, 2014

i also have same problem,just keep press power button until its power off and must check that hibernate light is not blinking then open it again,I hope it will solve your problem.

SaLam CaNillo

Reputable
Nov 25, 2014

Joeeyyix

Reputable
Feb 13, 2015
Tis happennd to mine, what i did was logged on, opened up task manager (ctrl+ alt+ Del) and clicked on running programs, i right clicked on a program and clicked "open containing folder) then from that pop up i went to control pannel and uninstalled some programs, after about 3 uneeded programs were installed it went back to normal :) perfecto

pakie49

Reputable
Feb 15, 2015

Anass Edaou

Reputable
Feb 24, 2015
i will show you one method it's work with me but i don't know if it will work with u : press CRTL+ALT+DELETE than choose TASK MANAGER and go to the top click FILE choose RUN NEW TASK then put EXPLORER and click in CREAT THIS TASK WITH ADMINISTRATIVE PRIVILEGES and press OK then u will get ur screen..... hope that work for you

misspj

Reputable
Mar 18, 2015

How did you do the windows refresh? I got the same issue and I cannot even access the task manager

Insane NiTEmare

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014

You should be able to access the Windows Refresh from the F8 menu while booting; you will require a Windows 8/8.1 install disk inserted (or the files loaded on a USB) for your version during the repair. If you can access the F8 menu during boot (press F8 before the Windows loading screen comes up, after BIOS/UEFI) you might want to try loading Safe Mode first to check if any drivers are damaged.

manoj jain789

Reputable
Mar 27, 2015

Tor Divel

Reputable
Mar 27, 2015
The short story:
Check your CSM settings, that´s all I know.

The long story in the belief that it might help someone:
I have win8.1 64 eng. on a SSD disk.

Day 1, night:
-------------
Finished backup with robocopy to a NAS, got five disks. All is normal.

Day 2:
------
Started the PC the usual way. It got stuck after the win8 logo.
Black screen, cursor, no login, ctrl-shift-esc doesn´t work, ctrl-alt-del doesn´t work, no task manager.
Safe-mode doesn´t work, none of the commands you can do in CMD recovery accomplish anything.
System restore doesn´t work, automatic repair doesn´t work. WITAF (What In The Actual Fu*k)?

Booted with a live cd; all the files were there.

Hours of googling and testing. Got nowhere.

Day 3:
------
All right I give in, I do a refresh. So in addition to my aforementioned backup,
I copied all folders on c: to a USB disk.
Booted and chose refresh and got "harddrive locked". Great, another problem.

Googled a bit.

On day 2 I read about (U)EFI stuff and that lot, tested things and got nowhere. Probably due to this information
floating in my head I went in BIOS and checked the CSM setting more thoroughly. I run with CSM enabled.
I went in the submenu and changed "boot device control" from "UEFI and legacy OpROM" to "legacy OpROM only".

Restarted with the DVD just because it was still in the drive. Tried Automatic repair.
This time I got Choose a target OS.

LIFE! (in retrospect I might not have needed to troubleshoot at this point)

Automatic repair did some fixing and restarted.
Windows update appeared after win8 logo.
Installing updates 30%. "Failure configuring windows updates. undoing changes". Auto restart.

Got this update error looping. Great, another problem.

Let the PC just loop for itself while I googled a bit on my laptop.
After a few restarts it just fixed itself. And all is well.
Installed all windows updates, checked for system errors, restarted and all is still well.

- Did a windows update cause this? Don´t know. I run updates manually and last time was approx. a week ago.

- Was the BIOS setting changed somehow? Don´t know. I certainly didn´t do it.

--In short check your CSM settings, that´s all I know.

What Day 4 will bring is to early to say at this point in time...

bingi10

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015
well same thing happened to me. have a Windows8 Asus notebook and i just removed the battery and pluged the laptop in without the battery. It immediately booted and vallah it was working again. Just shut it down and insert the battery again. It should help

luke10ray

Reputable
Apr 30, 2015

luke10ray

Reputable
Apr 30, 2015
Hi, had the same problem 10 mins ago. Phoned a friend ( university lecturer on it). Hold down power button for 15 seconds , counting 15 , . Switch back on , wait 10 secs ( to see wjat happens) . Phone me back any problems. Didn't need to , it works fine now. Hope you have success.

Solution

Kombitrabi

Reputable
May 11, 2015

Just happened on a Dell laptop. Here is the fix that worked for me:
1. Power off
2. Remove power supply and battery
3. Keep power button pressed for 15-20 seconds
4. Insert battery and power on
5. Be happy :)

sofarella

Reputable
May 27, 2015
Ok so this happened to me and I tried everyone's idea nothing happened I have W8 and wondering if I should let it run out of battery then charge it up after leaving it a while? All I see is a black screen now because the pointed curser isn't even showing anymore, What do u think?

Status
Not open for further replies.