My laptop with windows 10 takes 10 seconds to boot up, do i still need a ssd for my new build?

ossieZx

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015
Im so close to finish building my pc (missing ram & ssd). Currently using my almost 4 year old laptop, surprisingly, it takes 10 seconds to boot up to windows desktop. Steam, discord & ccleaner are the only programs that open when windows is loading, so, if i use the 3tb hdd i just bought instead of a ssd, would i really need a ssd at all? I only use my laptop for gaming (web surfing and spotify too but gaming is my heaviest point) so the 3tb hdd is gonna get filled with games & google chrome downloads. Should i still get a 120ssd?(thats the only ssd i can afford) and why? Thanks!!

Solution
Firstly, you laptop is not doing a cold boot to the desktop in 10 seconds.
That is almost certainly coming out of sleep or hibernation or some other not-quite-off configuration.

Secondly...yes, an SSD is a good thing to have. And not just for reduced boot time.
Heat, vibration, power....all better with an SSD

Thirdly...a 120GB SSD is mostly not recommended. 250GB or larger.

USAFRet

Titan
Firstly, you laptop is not doing a cold boot to the desktop in 10 seconds.
That is almost certainly coming out of sleep or hibernation or some other not-quite-off configuration.

Secondly...yes, an SSD is a good thing to have. And not just for reduced boot time.
Heat, vibration, power....all better with an SSD

Thirdly...a 120GB SSD is mostly not recommended. 250GB or larger.

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
And I really do not understand a need to have ccleaner open at boot time. Not sure of how much time that will actually save.

Can concede the need for Steam and perhaps Discord for gaming purposes: But for all games?

Maybe just boot with nothing and then use Desktop Shortcuts to launch whatever else is needed at the time.

As for the SSD - looking back I would have benefited from larger SSD's. Go larger per USAFRet.