Question My laptop's performance becomes MUCH worse until I unplug it and plug it in again ?

Mar 12, 2021
Firstly, some facts.
-If I start my computer already plugged in, I see 20-30 less FPS in games. Just unplugging and replugging fixes the issue.
-I strongly believe it affects GPU, because CPU-heavy programs like After Effects run without a noticeable difference. (I think :)
-The worst thing is, my battery is totally dead so I can no longer do the unplug/replug thing which was my only fix.
-It's been like that since the first day I got it. I was way too excited to return it so I just used it with that temp. fix. I regret my decision right now, but I guess its pretty late for that.
-Changing "Power Management Mode" on Nvdia Control Panel doesn't help at all.

My GPU is 960M, different drivers didn't help. Feel free to ask me anything. Have a great day.

Mar 12, 2021
Laptop: make, model, specs? OS?

When/where did you get the laptop?

How do you normally shut down the laptop?

Any reason for not getting a new battery?

It is a local company, using Clovo's N170SD case. My specs are i7 5700HQ 2,7 GHz, 16 GB DDR3L 1600MHz Ram, 2GB GDDR5 nVIDIA® GeForce® GTX960M 128-Bit DX12 and I installed Windows myself (it was freedos)

I bought it from official store 5 years ago, but this issue was there since the day I got the laptop. I thought I can live with the temp. fix but I never thought what will happen when battery dies :/

I always close from Start -> Shut Down and wait for its lights to go down before closing the screen.

Bit pricy, and I was planning to buy a new desktop so I am trying to save as much as possible.

Hopefully answers are clear enough :)

Ralston18

Titan
Does the laptop maintain the correct time and date? Where does the laptop "go" to update time and date?

Check the date and time after the laptop has been plugged in for awhile and FPS is low. Then do so again after the re-plugging restores FPS.

While the computer is just sitting, plugged in, open either Resource Monitor or Task Manager and observe the system for awhile.

Then unplug and re-plug to see what, if anything has changed.

(Note: Use both Resource Monitor and Task Manager but only one at a time.)

Key is to discover, if at all possible, what the laptop "sees" differently between sitting plugged in and then after the re-plug.

Look for configuration changes.

Mar 12, 2021
Does the laptop maintain the correct time and date? Where does the laptop "go" to update time and date?

Check the date and time after the laptop has been plugged in for awhile and FPS is low. Then do so again after the re-plugging restores FPS.

While the computer is just sitting, plugged in, open either Resource Monitor or Task Manager and observe the system for awhile.

Key is to discover, if at all possible, what the laptop "sees" differently between sitting plugged in and then after the re-plug.

The time is always correct.

The problem about testing is, I can't plug out charger anymore because as soon as I do, laptop closes itself (since the battery is dead)

One thing I realized is, it actually uses my Nvdia card but Nvdia card doesn't work on full performance. I tried to look for settings on BIOS but there wasn't such a setting at all.

Mar 12, 2021

Huge update, I never tried before until now but looks like putting laptop in sleep mode and waking it up again fixes the problem (tho it is temp fix again)

Looks like the laptop or GPU? somehow can't realize that it is using the charger, not the battery even when there is no battery at all.

I wonder where is the issue tho, hardware? Bios? Driver?