Question My laptop's screen randomly goes black ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2917384
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2917384

Laptop model: Lenovo S740-14IIL

My laptop screen randomly goes black lately, the last time it did I used my phone to play music on my laptop using Spotify's app to check if the laptop is still running which it did and the sound worked as normal. I also used win+ctrl+shift+b shortcut to restart the video driver, I did hear a beep, but the screen stays black. I want to make sure that it's not related to hardware like faulty GPU but I don't own a converter to use right now. Can the problem be related to the hardware and the laptop would still be running normally except the screen staying black?

PS: When I reboot the laptop, it take several reboots before finally getting the screen to work again.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You're going to need an adapter or cable to work off of your Type-C(Thunderbolt) port to get display out to an external panel. If you do get display out from your laptop to an external panel, then the panel on your laptop is what's faulty or that you need to reinstall your GPU drivers.

Can you get into the BIOS for your laptop?

D

Deleted member 2917384

I've posted this before, but I can't find a fix for this. I have this problem for months without finding a permanent solution. My screen either jitter/shake or turns black and won't turn on even after rebooting, I just keep turning the laptop on and off until I finally get the display to work. The laptop seems to work fine when I connect it to an external monitor (I'm not sure if there won't be a jitter on the external display too since I don't use it for long). Based on what I found the problem could be related to the LCD display itself, the cable connecting to the motherboard, the CMOS battery (I don't understand why, it's just what I found), or faulty display drivers.
I tried to uninstall the INTEL and NVIDIA drivers using DDU uninstaller, then either installing them using one of the following:
-windows update: the problem is not solved, it's even worse than before.
-Directly from INTEL and NVIDIA websites : this seem to fix the black screen problem, or at least before I try another solution, but the screen jitter it's still there.
-Using Lenovo vantage : I think it's about the same result above.
Based on what I've done, could I be sure that it's not related to the hardware itself and it's just software issue?
PS: I have LENOVO yoga s740 with NVIDIA mx250

Lutfij

Titan
Same topic, different thread, stop creating ,multiple threads.

As for your issue, you didn't get back to the issue with a "different" adapter. Mind you, did you source the exact same adapter for your laptop? Pertaining to your laptop, since you're able to get into BIOS, did you check and see what your BIOS version is at the time of writing?

If you're able to get onto the OS GUI, what OS are you working with? If you're on Windows 10, what version(not edition) of the OS are you on?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I ended up disabling hardware acceleration for Intel, that was too slow which did fix my screens going black(didn't matter which one, just certain content made them go black), so I set my browsers and many other programs as high performance and used the Nvidia graphics exclusively for them. Seems to have taken care of the problem on the software side. i7-1165G7 + MX350

Still under warranty?

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/...netbooks/yoga-series/yoga-s740-14iil/warranty

If you think the screen itself is having a problem, get it looked at?

D

Deleted member 2917384

I didn't know I couldn't make another thread, I just wanted to repost another one since I wanted to clarify some things, and I also tried to connect my laptop to an external display using an type-c to HDMi adapter, and I did get a display.
did you source the exact same adapter for your laptop?
I didn't quite understand your question, but my bios version is BYCN39WW and windows 10 21H2

D

Deleted member 2917384

I ended up disabling hardware acceleration for Intel, that was too slow which did fix my screens going black(didn't matter which one, just certain content made them go black), so I set my browsers and many other programs as high performance and used the Nvidia graphics exclusively for them. Seems to have taken care of the problem on the software side. i7-1165G7 + MX350

Still under warranty?

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/...netbooks/yoga-series/yoga-s740-14iil/warranty

If you think the screen itself is having a problem, get it looked at?
My laptop isn't under warranty anymore, but thanks for the tip. Did you screen also flicker? Do you think that this problem is caused by the cpu?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
My most common problem was browser based. If there was video playing on a website or certain types of animated advertisements, the screen would go black. Even if I did something as simple as scrolling away from the ad, the screen would return. I did not really have flickering problems, or a lack of display on reboot.

D

Deleted member 2917384

My most common problem was browser based. If there was video playing on a website or certain types of animated advertisements, the screen would go black. Even if I did something as simple as scrolling away from the ad, the screen would return. I did not really have flickering problems, or a lack of display on reboot.
Ok thanks for the help. I'll take it to get fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.