My laptop's speakers aren't working correctly. The sound fluctuates from high to low, even though the volume is maxed out.

Feb 29, 2020
I bought my ASUS ROG Strix laptop almost a year ago. Its speakers have worked great since then, but in the past couple of months I've noticed that they're not playing sound as loudly as they should. At least, most of the time they don't. Usually I used earbuds so it's not that big of a problem, but I'd still like to fix it. It's a very strange situation, but I'll do my best to describe it.

So I'll be playing a game, and my volume will be maxed out to 100. For a minute or so, it's fine. The volume plays as loudly as it should. But then it will suddenly just tank and be very quiet, even though the volume is still at 100. Randomly, the sound will become loud again, but not long after it goes up it goes back down. I'd say about 90% of the time it's pretty quiet, and the rest of the time it's sufficiently loud.

I'm not really sure what the issue is. I've tried several different things to no avail. It's almost like there's some kind of attenuation gong on, but I've checked and I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

Like I said, it's not a huge issue since I almost always game with earbuds. But I'd still like to figure out the issue.

I'm thinking about 3 possible/probable sources of the fault:
  • Software/Driver.
  • Audio chip itself, or nearby smd components that support the chip directly.
  • Fracture in PCB or soldering somewhere between audio chip and the stereo jack socket, including the socket itself.
The last options actually extends all the way to the speakers, so you may want to try another set of cables/speakers or head phones.