My laptop's Wi-Fi connection shows connected, but I'm not able to access Internet through any application.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saitu282

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013
Hi. I'm using a HP Pavilion G6 laptop and I upgraded to Windows 8.1 last week.

My problem is that my laptop says it is connected to the home Wi-Fi network, but I'm not able to access the internet through any applications, be it chrome, utorrent, or any games. Every other device in my home is able to connect and I can properly use the internet without issue.

This happened last week and I found out that a McAfee update was to blame. Unfortunately the same solution did not work work. I'm now out of options.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

olssonk

Reputable
Sep 6, 2014

We have a DELL and Windows 8 -- the last two times we have tried to use a wi fi connection outside our home, we have this problem. The solutions above did not work (our Temp folder is empty; we did the ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew commands - the release seemed to work but the renew command gave us an error)

epeggy

Reputable
Sep 8, 2014
I am having the same issue with my Toshiba running Windows XP. It was working fine until I changed my internet provider from AT&T DSL to Time Warner Cable Road Runner. My other two laptops running Windows 7 connected just fine after the conversion, but not the one running Windows XP (I know it is old -- used for specific purpose). I have tried everything I have read and read . . . .nothing. I uninstalled the virus program AVG because people were saying it could be interfering, I tried all of the ipconfig - release, renew, flush, etc. I did a system restore. I uninstalled and reinstalled adapters. I noticed that the IP address was different on the XP. The Windows 7 IP addresses both start with 192, whereas the XP started with 169. I read somewhere that an IP address starting with 169 is no good, so I tried to manually enter the same profile from my working laptop. It still says it is connected, but will not bring up any internet pages. It would not allow me to enter my network key - it said it had to be hexidecimals or something like that, so I checked "obtain key for me" and then it worked. Maybe that is part of the problem?
Any ideas, suggestions would be appreciated.

Hetisemma

Reputable
Sep 22, 2014

Worked for me! Hope it'll keep the problem from happening again!

Iknowit88

Reputable
Sep 23, 2014
HI , i found a solution . Open command prompt as administrator and write these commands and restart your computer

ipconfig/flushdns
nbtstat -R
nbtstat -RR
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
netsh winsock reset

asldkfjowieur

Reputable
Sep 24, 2014
hey, I've got the same problem recently. It was related to the IP address which was provided by DHCP server. For some reasons the IP was provided always the same. I've set different IP, gateway and DNS manually in network properties, then connected and disconnected, then enabled automatic IP again. Finally this worked.

mkrimmer

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
My problem was that when I changed my provider, my older laptop's adapter was not compatible. I went to Best Buy and purchased an adapter,
one that supports WPA and WPA2 security with IEEE 802.11n, 802.11g, 802.11b standards. This worked. I also had tried everything I saw posted and nothing was working. It was a compatibility issue.

GuestoBW

Reputable
Oct 8, 2014

I followed your suggestion and found that my temp folder was empty. During the time I was looking for this solution I found the PC had sent an email that had been hanging for an hour on outlook, however internet connectivity is still a challenge. What else can I look at?

Rchmielinski

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014

Yes, it worked, but the directory for me was c;\windows\temp. thanks very much!

Force_vomit

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
Had the same issue and was searching the net for answers. Stumbled upon this site. Tried everything listed but it did not work EXCEPT uninstalling McAfee. Once it was uninstalled, I got my internet access almost immediately, no restart of PC required. Just thought of sharing. Hope this helps.

rbutler1993

Reputable
Oct 12, 2014

None of the previously mentioned fixes worked, but this one did! Thanks! My wifi and Ethernet connections both said that I had Internet access, but I couldn't connect. This fixed it!

Oct 13, 2014

Hi my names Cris, I am a student in I.T I have decided to go online an try an answer all questions to see how good I actually am, do you still have computer problems?

Oct 13, 2014

Oct 13, 2014

Hadiyahxo

Reputable
Oct 16, 2014

Code:

All of this keeps on failing, what do I do now? I've tried every solution on here and it's just not working, the only solution I can think of is to refresh my pc but I need to connect to the internet so I can backup my Microsoft, please help!!!

Oct 13, 2014
I think I know what is going on, I would like you to check though, I would like you to get to the part where the internet is not working an follow these steps an send me back the information. I'm sure your not getting validated DNS settings from the DHCP server an that's all the problem is I think.

1. Once again go to Command Prompt
2. Type (Ipconfig /all)

Now please answer the following.........

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection or Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Skip
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Skip
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : Skip
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Answer
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Answer
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : Skip
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : Answer including preferred OR not
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : Skip for now
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Skip
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Skip
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : Answer
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : Answer
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : Skip
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : Skip

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : Answer
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Skip

The I will have a better idea OK. Talk soon

Hadiyahxo

Reputable
Oct 16, 2014
Wireless LAN adapter -
DHCP enabled - yes
Autoconfiguration enabled - yes
IPv4 Address - preferred
Default gateway - [removed]
DHCP Server - [removed]
DNS servers - [removed]

IP information removed by moderator. - G

Oct 13, 2014

I never got to read the addresses but don't worry, I don't need them, I need you to set your Default and DNS manually which is so easy, first I explain why I am saying this and where I get my information from. At school Cert 4 Networking, when we set up our own server's as assignments, one of the class room computer had the same problem, Our assignment is to have the server set all the addresses to the clients(in your case. Your router is the server an your the client). Now one of the computers wouldn't do it, we just used another one. That's because we can't manually set addresses or that would be a fail in the assignment.

Just before you do this, one quick question? Have you reset your tcp/ip settings in command prompt? Anywayz I will continue to manual configuring. Assuming you have windows 7,
1. Right click your network icon connection down bottom right hand corner of screen next to the clock.
2. Left click (Open Network and Sharing Centre)
3. Left click (Change adapter settings)
4. Right click your (Wireless Network Connection)
5.Left click (Properties)
6. Double Left click on (Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4))
7. Check (Use the following IP address)
8. Also Check (Use the following DNS server address)

Ok so now we need some IP addresses, assuming you don't understand and assuming I can nearly guess these settings for you we got a plan A otherwise plan B

Plan A

This is important ok. If you get these wrong then DO NOT EXPECT ANY INTERNET TO WORK and it will only be your fault but please read on....

Following list is a guess please don't just use this information, e.g only but I am close to guessing working of default settings!

Default gateway: [removed]
Subnet mask: [removed]

Notice I haven't got to the other addresses yet, well I need to explain, DNS is easy, for now set them on (eight.eight.four.four) and (eight.eight.eight.eight) they are Google's Server's in Australia Sydney, I use them all the time for online gaming an PC's they WORK!

Now the default gateway has to be the IP address of your router that you are trying to connect to wirelessly. If you can log into your router from your PC now but not get the internet that is a great thing, because with the help of Command Prompt we can get ya routers IP. Just goto command an type (tracert eight.eight.eight.eight) - USE NUMBERS LIKE THE REAL 8. That will start sending a packet to Sydney although you don't have the internet. It will fail after you see your routers IP address, da da, that's the answer for

Default gateway: was I close [removed]

Alrighty, time to give yourself an IP address that will not conflict with any other device, make sure the first 3 sets of number always remain the same as the Default Gateway, [removed]

Here is an example for your personal IP address that I wish to assign you.

[removed]

Please keep the last number between 2-99 because it should have them reserved automatically exactly for situations like this. 100-254 will be assigned to computers who connect with there settings on auto pilot (Obtain an IP address automatically)

Have your subnet mask on [removed]

The reason why we are doing all of this is because when your computer connects to your router it ask's for information such as DNS settings so your computer has a server to ask for directions, for some reason you don't get the details so your computer can never get outside of your house. Let's say on my machine I type www.google.com my computer sends that sentence I just typed to [removed] google Sydney. It sends back the IP of www.google.com which is [removed] Then your computer resends out to that address for the html source code to compile together in your internet explorer. Searching letters is easier for people to remember. Domain names that's all they are. Once you do set all this manually an stuff. remember to clear out old dns in memory. goto command prompt an type

Ipconfig /flushdns

Also delete everything in your temp folder in your windows directoy. Once all this is done restart your computer. Try this, I have more ideas to come. The solution is your giving your Wireless Network Adapter your own settings instead of riling on a DHCP server in your router.

Just a question, how many other machines can get internet from the same Default gateway? Please write back, also include what you have done so I can skip all that. Have you used command prompt to reset IPTCP also.

ipconfig/flushdns
nbtstat -R
nbtstat -RR
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
netsh winsock reset

Hope to hear from you, wanna keep trying hey.

IP information removed by moderator. Again, please don't post IP addresses - whether they are public or private. This is a public forum and anybody can see the information discussed. If you want to discuss IP routing in further detail, use the PM function for that. - G

Sumit Kar

Reputable
Oct 23, 2014
Tried a n number of solutions to deal with the problem. Finally this worked for me:

1. Go to Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) properties
2. In the General tab, select Obtain an IP Address automatically
3. Obtain DNS server address automatically
4. Click OK

and it should be done.

adulis

Reputable
Nov 7, 2014

I signed up just to say that your solution was the only one that worked. Thanks

aloneboy1

Reputable
Nov 7, 2014

this worked all cool

bambootrees

Reputable
Dec 13, 2014

Finally this one worked. What really happened and what you actually did to fix it? Thanks, daobing

Status
Not open for further replies.