My laptop's Wi-Fi connection shows connected, but I'm not able to access Internet through any application.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saitu282

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013
Hi. I'm using a HP Pavilion G6 laptop and I upgraded to Windows 8.1 last week.

My problem is that my laptop says it is connected to the home Wi-Fi network, but I'm not able to access the internet through any applications, be it chrome, utorrent, or any games. Every other device in my home is able to connect and I can properly use the internet without issue.

This happened last week and I found out that a McAfee update was to blame. Unfortunately the same solution did not work work. I'm now out of options.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Oct 13, 2014
Try to clear the SSL state from Internet Options and check.

- Press Windows key _ R key to open Run prompt.

- Type inetcpl.cpl and press enter.

- go to the Content tab.

- Click on Clear SSL state and press o.

- Close and reopen Internet Explorer and check.

If the issue reappears, then do the following.

- In Windows Internet Explorer, click Continue to this website (not recommended).
A red Address Bar and a certificate warning appear.

- Click the Certificate Error button to open the information window.

- Click View Certificates, and then click Install Certificate.

- On the warning message that appears, click Yes to install the certificate.

Restart Internet Explorer and check if the issue persists.

Let us know the results after trying these steps.

Mankind25

Reputable
Mar 9, 2015

Eunice Morales

Reputable
Mar 9, 2015

tjevicki

Reputable
Mar 15, 2015
Hello everybody. I had the same problem and none of these solutions worked for me, but I found a solution that did work. I hope it solves the problem for you guys too.

What I did is right click on the network icon on the bottom right edge of the screen, and click 'Go to network and sharing center'. Then I went to 'Change adapter settings', right clicked on my wi-fi connection and Properties. I went to the bottom of the list and double clicked Internet protocol version 4. There, I entered these settings:
6qd6rc.jpg

I cant remember if I restarted the computer, but my internet started working after I did this.

Cheers

fariha sheikh

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015

gracieaxe

Reputable
May 9, 2015

gracieaxe

Reputable
May 9, 2015
Hi, this may help (fingers crossed!). We had the same problem with my son's lap top until this morning. We thought...maybe our wifi modem has too many devices on it. That is, we have 'given permission' to too many devices to use our modem (after all, it is a domestic one not a 'business one). So, we made a decision and PERMANENTLY disabled some of the wifi access for SOME of our devices (example: our daughter's old iPod, etc) - that is, not just turned it off, but gone into settings and completely disabled them! And guess what??? My son's laptop is working again! He is back on the internet and we are very relieved because we didn't want to bring in anyone to sort out the problem. I hope this works for you too! It's worth trying out and if it doesn't, you can easily 'give permission' to those devices again...certainly worth experimenting with. Good luck.

gracieaxe

Reputable
May 9, 2015

Rabii

Reputable
May 31, 2015
Most of above solutions are working only for some time after restarting laptop but again same problem comes back. Appreciate if someone can provide a permanent solution
Thanks
Rabi

tasyaaoc

Reputable
Jun 14, 2015

I had the exact same problem with you and I tried clearing temp files but it didn't work. So I followed what you did, checking McAfee and damn right it was not responding. It finally worked after I had restarted my laptop (Asus X453M) and turned off the firewall option in McAfee. I assumed that was the source of this problem. Thanks bro!

SLM3517

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015

*******************************************************************************************

So I've been experiencing this very same problem for maybe a week, maybe longer (although since I haven't tried to access the Internet from my home laptop for the past month or more until a couple days ago, I'm not sure how long it's actually been going on). And your post makes me wonder if my new Amazon FireTV device isn't causing the same problem with my laptop internet connection. FireTV and my smartphone both can access the Internet through my home wifi just fine. It's my laptop that won't do it anymore, even though it shows as being connected to my wifi with a strong signal. I have an ipad I don't use anymore that's connected to my wifi, and it sounds like possibly, even though it's not in use at all, its being a device that has permission to connect to my wifi might be blocking my laptop. I'll have to try and disable its wifi access tonight and see if that makes room for my laptop again. Fingers crossed! But my laptop did just load a bunch of new updates a couple weeks ago, so it's also possible it's one of those, I guess.

Boanergesjr

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015

It worked for mw. Thanks. To all who did´nt manage to fix the problem, pay attention. You must open command prompt as administrator.

slim900000

Reputable
Aug 16, 2015
The answer below worked like charm for me I want to thank the author of this answer alot
amen to him

ipconfig/flushdns
nbtstat -R
nbtstat -RR
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
netsh winsock reset
[/quotemsg]

I signed up just to say that your solution was the only one that worked. Thanks[/quotemsg]

slim900000

Reputable
Aug 16, 2015
The answer below worked like charm for me I want to thank the author of this answer alot
amen to him

ipconfig/flushdns
nbtstat -R
nbtstat -RR
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
netsh winsock reset
[/quotemsg]

I signed up just to say that your solution was the only one that worked. Thanks[/quotemsg]

cybil_1

Reputable
Aug 22, 2015

Minus the nbstat commands this worked for me! You are my hero! Thank you very much!

walid_omri

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
I am facing this problem while writing this comment,
i suspect my comodo firewall blocking all internet traffic except my laptop where is installed this comodo
look if any firewall parameters or applications block internet traffic

muchammad

Reputable
Sep 6, 2015

it's been old but it just fixed my problem, thanks dude and also this forum

Marco_1

Reputable
Sep 14, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.