[SOLVED] My last build was in 1983, can use some advice here on a new rig I want to build:)

Dec 15, 2020
Hi all,

Yup, the last time I personally build a PC together was in 1983.
The whole thing ran at a whopping 4.25Mhz(in turbo mode) and had even 2x 5.25” floppy drives and 8MB Ram.
Yes those were the days and technology came a long way.

Up to now after that build always bought a prebuilt to be honest where the last one was the Alienware Aurora with the 1080ti. Great device and does still extremely well.
The past two years I got more into VR and any day now the HP Reverb G2 comes in.

Thinking for a little while now to start building a new rig again with some of the latest and greatest stuff :)

So I have been watching I don’t know how many build video’s, advices, reviews and what more. My daily tasks are tuning into JayZ, Linus, Hardware Unboxed, Optimum Tech, Steve from Nexus and so on....

I have a couple of requirements set for myself.
I don’t want to compromise too much, I want a reasonably small footprint of the case, I don’t want to worry about thermal throttling, I want M.2 all in and for the first time ever AMD CPU.
That got me to the following list that I think is a sweet match but I’m not entirely sure about mobo-ram combi For example as it is not on the verified list of tested RAM’s for the mobo. I do know it doesn’t say everything though.
And I’m also pretty sure there are people around here that perhaps can give me advice/proposal on certain components.

Case: Fractal Meshify C
PSU: NZXT C-Series 850W
Mainboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Formula
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x16GB 3600 CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4BL
AIO: NZXT Kraken Z53(meant for top mount) + 7xAer RGB 2 120mm + RGB & Fan Controller
OS Drive: Gigabyte Aorus M.2 Gen4 500GB SSD
Data/Game Drive: Gigabyte Aorus M.2 Gen4 2TB SSD
Windows 10 Pro 64bit as OS

Now there is 1 very important component not yet on the list. GPU.
Today I would go for the EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming and this has mostly to do with case clearance. Most RTX 3080 cards are too large with having the front case fans installed.
But....... I think I’ll eventually wait in ordering the parts already as the rumors of the release of the 3080ti in Jan are getting stronger and will opt for that in that case.

What do you guys and girls think about this all? Am I nuts or is it sensible?

Any reactions are highly appreciated :)

Regards, Luc

Solution
It's a good build but the niggles are

1. You're overspeccing on the motherboard, it's ridiculously expensive and in essence offers no benefit over a good quality b550 board apart from bragging rights.

2. You'd be better picking a corsair rmx psu or a superflower leadex 3 over the nzxt model (even though it's based on the seasonic focus platform it underperforms compared to the actual seasonic focus)

3. The fans?!?? Not entirely sure where you're going to be putting all those??

Its total overkill, and there's not actually enough mounting room for that many fans in a meshify c.

If you're thinking of doubling the rad fans it won't work as there's not enough room for a top mount radiator with push/pull fans in that case.

madchemist83

Distinguished
Looks great, a bit unbalanced and over-faned (is that a word ?). One thing to mention is that 5900x and 3080 are one of the hardest components to get right now without a help of discord bots and quick clicking and patience. Situation will not change with 3080Ti, if anything it will get worse.
Personally I would change everything but OS. There are better components for each category.
I take it your main use will be gaming ?

Dec 15, 2020
Hi madchemist,
Thanks for your feeedback. It will be used for gaming but more in VR than anything else to be honest.
I know the 5900x and 3080 series are hard to get and it would be regular ordering at a vendor and then waiting until it arrives. It looks like a trend these days anyways, you do not want to know how long I’m already waiting on the Reverb G2 to arrive :)
Perhaps it has to do with the age I have the patience and can wait :p

But a question back to you.
You start of with ‘it looks great’ and you end with ‘I’d change everything but the OS’. Little contradiction here and that’s okay. I try to learn the new stuff, so what would the advice be?

Regards, Luc

It's a good build but the niggles are

1. You're overspeccing on the motherboard, it's ridiculously expensive and in essence offers no benefit over a good quality b550 board apart from bragging rights.

2. You'd be better picking a corsair rmx psu or a superflower leadex 3 over the nzxt model (even though it's based on the seasonic focus platform it underperforms compared to the actual seasonic focus)

3. The fans?!?? Not entirely sure where you're going to be putting all those??

Its total overkill, and there's not actually enough mounting room for that many fans in a meshify c.

If you're thinking of doubling the rad fans it won't work as there's not enough room for a top mount radiator with push/pull fans in that case.

Solution
Dec 15, 2020
Hi madmatt,

Appreciated your feedback. I was under the impression the board I have chosen has the best VRM’s in it’s range and the ability to have both M.2’s running on PCI-e 4.0 x 4 and a b550 can’t do that.

The PSU is a great idea to look at thanks.

Those fans. Well you can fit 7x 120mm in there.
one at the back, one at the front-bottom, two on the radiator (as I think they are not included already with the Z53) and then 3 on the front panel
I agree push/pull on the rad on top is not going to fit :)

Dec 15, 2020
What he said. Sorry I wasn't more detailed in my explanation.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NBcny4
Something like that, don't pay attention to prices as they might differ.
Also no extra fans and no aio. Air is almost as good with little to none maintenance.

Hey that is interesting. I will make a study of it later today what you placed in there, indeed besides going with an AIO i will definitely need to check out these parts :)

Thanks madchemist, appreciated

Hi madmatt,

Appreciated your feedback. I was under the impression the board I have chosen has the best VRM’s in it’s range and the ability to have both M.2’s running on PCI-e 4.0 x 4 and a b550 can’t do that.

The PSU is a great idea to look at thanks.

Those fans. Well you can fit 7x 120mm in there.
one at the back, one at the front-bottom, two on the radiator (as I think they are not included already with the Z53) and then 3 on the front panel
I agree push/pull on the rad on top is not going to fit :)

The z53 absolutely does come with fans, meaning realistically you only want 4 fans in the meshify c, 3 at the from, 1 at the rear.
Factor in it already comes with 2 fitted and you're wasting money unless the whole idea is to have rgb everywhere. 7 rgb fans is in my opinion too much for anyone.

Consider the lancool mesh 2 rgb, and along with the z53 all you need to add is a single 120mm fan as a rear exhaust.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/d8...-atx-mid-tower-case-lancool-ii-mesh-rgb-black

Also although you're right regarding the m2 slots in that board and the fact it is top quality it quite simply is not worth that much money.

You don't 'need' gen 4 for the secondary drive, you can hit 2500-3000mbs read speeds on fairly budget nvme gen 2 drives.
That's surely fast enough.