Question My Latency goes way up when other people are using the internet

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
I’m part of a competitive overwatch esports team. You need a low latency to game on this fast paced FPS shooter. At least under 100 but strongly suggested under 50. My average latency is about 60-80ms. That’s not great, but not very bad either. So, I live in a rural area, where we only have 1 internet provider (and they can literally charge whatever they want because they have the monopoly in my area, 5g will save us all) but we get about 8mbps download speed. That’s besides the point: I’m not the only one in my house, and others like to watch movies and tv. When they do my latency goes WAY up, average 400-800ms (it’s been 2000 once no joke), it also drops my connection altogether sometimes, I’m able to work out when we have meetings and competitions that they can stay off for a couple hours a week, I still need to practice, and sometimes I can’t even practice with my team because my game is unplayable (I find it unplayable at around 200ms). So, we have a problem. My router isn’t too old, maybe 4-5 years and it doesn’t prioritize anything, we can’t get a new router yet, and besides I seem to be the last user my router prioritizes. I got a wired connection, the only one in my house, that’s didn’t help. When other people use the internet my speeds don’t go down, or at least not enough to be noticeable, so it’s just the gaming that is being affected. Is there something That I can use/buy that can have my router prioritize me, or better yet a website I can go to or download something. Other people play casual games, so if I can, could it prioritize one connection, and could it be toggled on and off? Nothing too expensive. Also, anything that can lower my latency in general (anything lower than 70 is helpful). So, ya, any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Id say being out there your on phone line dsl connection? If you are that's the problem, the cable itself just can't cope with the bandwidth. Dsl problem i had, can get away with maybe two people playing games but anymore or if streaming gets involved it all goes to shait. These issues are rare on cable/fibre. 5g should hopefully give you what you want.

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
Id say being out there your on phone line dsl connection? If you are that's the problem, the cable itself just can't cope with the bandwidth. Dsl problem i had, can get away with maybe two people playing games but anymore or if streaming gets involved it all goes to shait. These issues are rare on cable/fibre. 5g should hopefully give you what you want.
We don’t have a phone line connection, idk how to explain but it’s similar to xfinity home internet, 5g isn’t available in my area.

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
Yeah im aware of that otherwise you wouldn't be here. As you said hopefully it helps and me to when it's finally rolled out. It seems very promising and we'll all probably cook because of it ;P

So your on wifi then? or cable? Seems like wifi looking at xfinity home internet, would it be 4g?
We don’t have cable, so probably 4g, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s 3g, idk the difference but we get 8mbps and the max they have is 12mbps, so I’m guessing speed is the difference and we might have 3g.

Feb 13, 2019
Oh, okay, I assumed it was cable. So my question regarding the modem is moot. I was going to look and see if it had the infamous puma6 chipset.

One thing you might try is plugging directly into the 4g modem and get some simultaneous downloads going and then do a ping test. If the pings are still bad then there might not be a whole lot you can do to solve this problem.

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
Oh, okay, I assumed it was cable. So my question regarding the modem is moot. I was going to look and see if it had the infamous puma6 chipset.

One thing you might try is plugging directly into the 4g modem and get some simultaneous downloads going and then do a ping test. If the pings are still bad then there might not be a whole lot you can do to solve this problem.
Well, when I download something on my computer and play the game, the latency goes way up too. So does that mean there’s nothing I can do? I can handle not downloading anything and playing the game, but there isn’t anything I can do for my router to prioritize me instead of putting me last?

Feb 13, 2019
Well, when I download something on my computer and play the game, the latency goes way up too. So does that mean there’s nothing I can do? I can handle not downloading anything and playing the game, but there isn’t anything I can do for my router to prioritize me instead of putting me last?

That's what we have to determine. Bypass the router altogether. Plug your PC directly into the modem and see if things improve. If you see an improvement then that means your router could be contributing to the latency.

What brand and model is your router?

I always make people watch THIS. Am going to ignore your budget issue. Am not even going to guarantee u anything, 'cuz ur bandwidth maybe so low X too many simultaneous users, unless u can kick them out while gaming. Buy from somewhere u can return easy if at the end nothing to do but buy more bandwidth, IF even available. You of course must be the Network Admin, 'cuz if the Internet account holder won't let you, the whole exercise is moot.

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
That's what we have to determine. Bypass the router altogether. Plug your PC directly into the modem and see if things improve. If you see an improvement then that means your router could be contributing to the latency.

What brand and model is your router?
Oh, sorry for the late response, on the router itself it says

CISCO

Linksys E3000