My Lenovo Z50 randomly shuts down without any warning and restarts right after

May 25, 2018
My Lenovo Z50 randomly shuts down without any warning and restarts right after. It looks like a hard reset - the screen turns black and the PC makes the typical low-pitching shutdown noise.

This happens fully on random. It is not that big of a deal, but it's really annoying and interrupting.

If anyone has experienced similiar issues, please help. Thanks for the feedback.

Solution
Disable 'Fast Startup'
Go to All settings->System->Power & sleep->Additional power settings.
Click on 'Choose what the power button do' link
Click on 'Change settings that are currently unavailable' link
Uncheck 'Turn on fast startup (Recommended)'
Click on 'Save changes' button
Reboot.
Yes, when it overheats.
It could be dust and lint trap between the fan and heatsink which prevents air to cool the laptop.
If it is overheating, remove the L shape back cover and check the fan. The fan could be removed, if you want to clean the dust.

It that is not the issue try resenting the BIOS to default settings.
Power off, remove the power adapter and remove the battery.
Press and hold down the power button for 15 seconds.
Put back the battery and connect the charger and use the Novo key (little button next to the power jack) to power on.
Select BIOS set up, when in the BIOS press F9 to load defaults and press F10 to save and exit.

May 25, 2018

I tried cleaning up the fan, that didn't work, so i tried reseting the BIOS settings following your exact instructions, as you adviced. That didn't work either. Other option i tried was reseting the lentire laptop to the factory settings and that didn't change a thing.
I think it's possible that the cause of this issue might not just be overheating. Last moth i turned the laptop on, and it shut itself down on the Lenovo load screen, seconds after I booted it up.
I forgot to mention that the warranty is expired as well.

Disable 'Fast Startup'
Go to All settings->System->Power & sleep->Additional power settings.
Click on 'Choose what the power button do' link
Click on 'Change settings that are currently unavailable' link
Uncheck 'Turn on fast startup (Recommended)'
Click on 'Save changes' button
Reboot.

Solution
May 25, 2018

I turned the Fast Startup option off. The random shutdowns usually occur within a few days (1-7) since the last random shutdown, which happened just today. I'll just wait and see if the issue is still present and if so I'll ask for help again.
Thanks a lot.

You're welcome
Just post back if the issue remains, so we could try something else