Question My LG Blu Ray drive always opens the drive tray. The tray will only close if you hold it closed.

Jan 7, 2023
I have an LG Blu Ray player that I installed and used several times. Generally, I was ripping discs to my hard drive for a digital copy. Then one day after ripping a disc the drive refused to close. Ever since, it will not accept any kind of disc. In fact, the drive tray will not stay closed; whether there is a disc or not the tray will open. The only way it stays closed is if you hold it there with positive pressure; then it will eventually close and stay closed. But if you try and use it or open it, you have to hold it closed once more.

I have removed the drive in device manager. There do not appear to be any updated drivers. I have disconnected the drive from the system. Then booted up the system. Then powered down, reconnected the drive, booted back up. Still have the issue.

Drive: LG model HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH16NS40

System
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.20 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS Z170-A
Ram: G.Skill V 16 GB (2x8GB)
SSD/HDD:850 EVO 250GB + 3TB volume drive
GPU: ASUS GTX 1070
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, 80+ GOLD 750W, Fully Modular
Chassis: Corsair 200R

Thanks for any help!

I have an LG Blu Ray player that I installed and used several times. Generally, I was ripping discs to my hard drive for a digital copy. Then one day after ripping a disc the drive refused to close. Ever since, it will not accept any kind of disc. In fact, the drive tray will not stay closed; whether there is a disc or not the tray will open. The only way it stays closed is if you hold it there with positive pressure; then it will eventually close and stay closed. But if you try and use it or open it, you have to hold it closed once more.

I have removed the drive in device manager. There do not appear to be any updated drivers. I have disconnected the drive from the system. Then booted up the system. Then powered down, reconnected the drive, booted back up. Still have the issue.

Drive: LG model HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH16NS40

System
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.20 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS Z170-A
Ram: G.Skill V 16 GB (2x8GB)
SSD/HDD:850 EVO 250GB + 3TB volume drive
GPU: ASUS GTX 1070
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, 80+ GOLD 750W, Fully Modular
Chassis: Corsair 200R

Thanks for any help!
Just for yuks.
Unplug the sata data cable....test.