[SOLVED] my lga 775 caught fire when paired with nvidia gtx 970

Dec 6, 2021
I'm curious, why did my lga 775 motherboard catch fire or there was a short circuit when I installed the MSI GTX 970?

spec :
CPU : Pentium Dual Core E6600
GPU : MSI Tiger Nvidia GTX 970
Motherboard : ECS G41T-R43
DDR3 : 4GB
HDD : 256GB
PSU : Seasonic 620 watt pure 80+

this happened twice on two different motherboards but using the same series ( ECS G41T-R43 ).
so I've damaged the motherboard twice .

after the two motherboards burned in a certain part of the capacitor. I'm still curious and I tried a third time. But this time using a different brand, namely DG41WV Intel lga775. I installed my MSI gtx 970 on this motherboard and it works fine.

I'm still curious as to why this could happen. Even though I've used a good PSU (Seasonic). Can someone explain technically why only the ECS motherboard can catch fire when paired with a gtx 970?

Solution
Of course I connected the extra power directly from the PSU to the gtx 970, and it worked fine on the DG41WV, but not on the ECS G41T-R43.

As far as I know, vrm is only for supply to the cpu, right? Or other hardware installed in pci, pci-e, sata, usb also need power from vrm ?

If yes, then the main reason has been answered. so it can be concluded that a motherboard with a little VRM will not be strong enough to provide power if all slots (pci-e, pci, usb, sata, etc.) are fully filled.

In this case even the ECS G41T-R43 is only filled with one pci-e ( gtx 970) has run out of power.
In such MBs, VRM is main switchboard and voltage and power regulator for everything. Some may have added VRM for other functions. Those are...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to add some meat to the potatoes in the form of images of the actual board after the damage. How old as the PSU in your build? As for the PSU, you sure that's the right make and model of the unit? Seasonic never launched a PSU with a Pure in their lineups. It also doesn't fit with the 80+ efficiency rating.

You need to understand that there are various brands when it comes to motherboard maker's, although the chipset is designed and distributed by Intel, the board makers have the option of skimping on parts/components and as such offer the same board by competitors at a lower price point, since they are reflected with sub par or non existent quality components on the motherboard.

I'm curious, why did my lga 775 motherboard catch fire or there was a short circuit when I installed the MSI GTX 970?

spec :
CPU : Pentium Dual Core E6600
GPU : MSI Tiger Nvidia GTX 970
Motherboard : ECS G41T-R43
DDR3 : 4GB
HDD : 256GB
PSU : Seasonic 620 watt pure 80+

this happened twice on two different motherboards but using the same series ( ECS G41T-R43 ).
so I've damaged the motherboard twice .

after the two motherboards burned in a certain part of the capacitor. I'm still curious and I tried a third time. But this time using a different brand, namely DG41WV Intel lga775. I installed my MSI gtx 970 on this motherboard and it works fine.

I'm still curious as to why this could happen. Even though I've used a good PSU (Seasonic). Can someone explain technically why only the ECS motherboard can catch fire when paired with a gtx 970?
Atrocious MB with even worse VRM. Did you connect extra power to GPU ? Such GPUs need to pull up to 75W of power from PCIe slot and I doubt VRM is strong enough for it.

Dec 6, 2021
Atrocious MB with even worse VRM. Did you connect extra power to GPU ? Such GPUs need to pull up to 75W of power from PCIe slot and I doubt VRM is strong enough for it.

Of course I connected the extra power directly from the PSU to the gtx 970, and it worked fine on the DG41WV, but not on the ECS G41T-R43.

As far as I know, vrm is only for supply to the cpu, right? Or other hardware installed in pci, pci-e, sata, usb also need power from vrm ?

If yes, then the main reason has been answered. so it can be concluded that a motherboard with a little VRM will not be strong enough to provide power if all slots (pci-e, pci, usb, sata, etc.) are fully filled.

In this case even the ECS G41T-R43 is only filled with one pci-e ( gtx 970) has run out of power.

In such MBs, VRM is main switchboard and voltage and power regulator for everything. Some may have added VRM for other functions. Those are mostly ones that require 4, 8 or more connectors to MB.Those provide only 12v.

Solution