[SOLVED] My M.2 SSD disabling all other storage devices.

May 26, 2020
Hello.

I just got a brand new XPG SSD M.2, model SX6000 Pro.

I installed it, and all other storage devices vanished on boot.

I entered the BIOS, and the only boot option was the M.2 SSD, but I didn't disconnect the other boot options.

I have 1 Sata SSD and 2 Sata HDs.

And when i removed the M.2 SSD, all other boot options came back, as it should be.

How could I solve this problem??

Solution
Hey!

So, I took the manual and searched for something, and tried do figure out what to do.

I tried over and over again.

Here's what i figured out:

1. When I put the M.2 SSD in the M2D slot, nothing else is recognized.
  2. When I put the M.2 SSD in the M2A slot, the 2 Sata HDDs are recognized, but the Sata SSD isn't, even in an enabled Sata port.
  3. When I removed the M.2 SSD from the motherboard, my Sata SSD stopped being recognized somehow.
  4. I had to remove all other Sata HDDs from the Sata ports so that the Sata SSD is recognized.
Now, I'm linking the User's Manual Here (Pages 16 and 17), for more info, but it seems I...
My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3.

I don't know about drivers... But I didn't install any

Some motherboards have a limited number of lanes on the south bus. Some m.2 drives share lanes with old format SATA ports. When you plus in a m.2 drive it will disable the SATA ports (1 or more). Your motherboard manual will probably explain this.

My ASRock b450 disables SATA3 when m.2 SATA is used. But SATA0, SATA1, and SATA2 remain active.

May 26, 2020
Hey!

So, I took the manual and searched for something, and tried do figure out what to do.

I tried over and over again.

Here's what i figured out:

1. When I put the M.2 SSD in the M2D slot, nothing else is recognized.
  2. When I put the M.2 SSD in the M2A slot, the 2 Sata HDDs are recognized, but the Sata SSD isn't, even in an enabled Sata port.
  3. When I removed the M.2 SSD from the motherboard, my Sata SSD stopped being recognized somehow.
  4. I had to remove all other Sata HDDs from the Sata ports so that the Sata SSD is recognized.
Now, I'm linking the User's Manual Here (Pages 16 and 17), for more info, but it seems I can't use the M.2 SSD along with the Sata SSD (which is where my OS is installed). If anyone who understands better than me these kind of thing (well, I suck at these computer stuff) could bring any suggestion, I'd be happy.

[EDIT1]

Well, I guess I managed to make the M.2 SSD be recognized in the BIOS, along with the Sata SSD and the two Sata HDDs, so I changed the text color above.

But when I boot the windows 10 in the Sata SSD, the M.2 SSD is not showing in the folder "This PC".

Also, despite the M.2 SSD being shown in the boot options, the NVMe Configuration section is not available in the BIOS as it should: User's Manual Here (Page 34, Last item)

[EDIT 2]

I solved the problem, finally.

Here's what I did:

I used the ADATA SSD Toolbox, and it was able to detect the M.2 SSD Device, but it mentioned that the device was not partitioned yet, and then I figured out what I had to do next.

I right-clicked on This PC, selected Manage. Under the Storage section, I clicked Disk Management, and there was my M.2 SSD. I selected it, created a partition and format.

Done. Ready for use.

Thanks for pointing out the User's Manual, I completely forgot it exists hahahaha.

Last edited:
Solution