Question My m.2 standoff broke in the motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2019
So I was intalling a new m.2 drive and have to move the standoff because of the drive's length.

When screwing back the standoff in, it snapped and half of it's screw stayed in the hole.
Now, I have no way of screwing the standoff in and of securing the drive.

I tried gluing the standoff in place but it wouldn't hold because the drive pulls it away and the glue isn't strong enough.

So, does anywone have an idea to help me secure the drive in place?

Here are pictures of the broken standoff and of the hole with the screw in it : View: https://imgur.com/gallery/v6zr4Ei

computerjoe314

Respectable
Jan 2, 2019
So I was intalling a new m.2 drive and have to move the standoff because of the drive's length.

When screwing back the standoff in, it snapped and half of it's screw stayed in the hole.
Now, I have no way of screwing the standoff in and of securing the drive.

I tried gluing the standoff in place but it wouldn't hold because the drive pulls it away and the glue isn't strong enough.

So, does anywone have an idea to help me secure the drive in place?

Here are pictures of the broken standoff and of the hole with the screw in it : View: https://imgur.com/gallery/v6zr4Ei
I'd recommend contacting your motherboard manufacture.

What in the world were you using to screw it in? It takes a fair bit of torque to twist the shaft off like that. Finger tight only, then 1/4 turn past that. You really have only a couple of options here:

1. Epoxy the broken piece in place, thus making it permanent. Use a two part epoxy for this.
  2. Obtain a replacement standoff from the motherboard manufacturer, then drill out the stuck piece and rethread the hole.

Sep 2, 2019
Step 1. Find a latex glove (firstaid kit/diesel bowser).
Step 2. Find a tooth pick .
Step 3. Cut a small piece of latex glove (enough to fit over the end of the toothpick) .
Step 4. Trim edge of the toothpick. (Pointy thing)
Step 5. Place cut piece of latex glove over the trimmed toothpick end .
Step 6. Insert in m.2 ssd slot and unscrew.
(The toothpick is the screwdriver and the glove is the grip).
Step 7. Give yourself a pat on the back for doing a good job not breaking anything.
Step 8. Enjoy !

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Status
Not open for further replies.