Question My M2 drive disappears after installing my secondary harddrive

jumper156

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
So i am using a Gigabyte GA-A320-2SH. I purchased this to run with a RYZEN 3 3200G, 16gb ddr 4 installed also. I install the M2 drive KING DIAN 240gb PCIE NVME M2 2280 Internal SSD High Performance Solid State Drive (NVPRO480 240gb). It runs amazing. I get everything installed and im actually very happy. The issue comes when i install a 1tb normal hd (Seagate Barracuda) for secondary purposes. At first everything runs ok. Things boot up fine and i see all my drives. Everything looks great. I shut the pc off for a few minutes and the M2 drive is no longer there and it is going back to bios which then i cant even see the M2 drive on the bios. If i unplug the seagate hd everything comes back and i can see my M2 drive again. I can then plug back in the seagate hd and things run fine until i shut off the pc and the same thing happens all over again. I here that my M2 drive may be utilizing a certain amount of sata slots. But this doesnt make sense to me why things work for a bit. Its just weird considering when the seagate hd isnt installed the M2 runs stellar. When i get home im going to try some different sata slots for the seagate HD. Do you think i just have a cheap M2 drive i should of not purchased in the first place? I cant find anything with my mobo having this issue. I know its a cheap mobo so maybe that's also an issue. Please help . :)

Last edited:
It's true that on some motherboards the M.2 slot and some SATA ports share resources and can not be used at the same time. That is not the case with your motherboard. But, I always think it's a good idea to try other ports.

There are some BIOS options I would also try ...
  1. disable Fast Boot (which is the default)
  2. disable UEFI CSM (not the the default)
Both options are discussed on page 27 of your owners manual.

From there, I would look to update the firmware on the KingDian ... I looked at their website and it was less than intuitive.

jumper156

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Thank you i will try those options out tonight. I did not receive a manual with my Amazon purchase. I looked one up online and didn't see anything. Appreciate the advice.

I found the software to update the firmware but cant find any information how to do it.

jumper156

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
I will not use that M2 drive again. I also would like to know if this would happen with a more mainstream hard drive as well. I sell pcs and i do not want to waste my time again. If it wasnt for the other hd not working this M2 drive is running wonderful. Hopefully those things you proposed solve my issue.

I will be able to try tonight. Ill return the M2 drive to amazon if i ca not correct the issue. Ill just grab what i usually grab. The m2 market seems to have gone up a bit lately.

Last edited:

jumper156

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
I tried the first option disabling Fast Boot and UEFI CSM. This did not work. I also tried every SATA slot with my cable. That had no effect. I will try the legacy boot option next.

Whats the dashboard software your talking about btw? I downloaded the firmware for the M2 drive but i have no idea how to install it.

I also still need to install the gigabyte app stuff to install all the mobo files and setup stuff. Not sure if maybe there is something there that may help me out. Without the secondary HD the pc runs great so i may try that next. I have a whole fun filled night ahead of me.

jumper156

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
I also wonder if i just return this M2 drive and purchase another will this solve my issue? King Dian is not very well known. I wonder if it could just be a compatibility issue.

Whats the dashboard software your talking about btw? I downloaded the firmware for the M2 drive but i have no idea how to install it.
Your name brand SSDs come with a software suite that lets you check the status of the drive, make some modification, and update firmware. For example.

Will another drive work perfectly? Probably, the issue you are having, while rare, does happen to other people. There is not one go to fix for this.

jumper156

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
I guess the question is where do i find it for King Dian? I found the firmware file for it but have no idea how to install it. It has no executable. Just a program that you run and nothing happens. Sure i am doing something wrong though. Can i use the intel one? Does it have to be from King Dian or just what is used for gigabyte or intel?

jumper156

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
I am home. I am going to work out then attempt a few more things. I am going to install the gigabyte suite stuff with the app center and see if it puts anything useful on. I am going to try an enable the legacy boot stuff as well that MR Spock mentioned. Its worth a shot. Ordered a new m2 normal sata ssd if this one doesnt work. Worse comes to worse i will just return this and if i get it to work i have a spare m2 for another build. Thankyou for all your help again ill keep you guys posted. :) i miss this stuff sometimes. I hope i can get it resolved.

jumper156

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
I cant get it to work. I wonder if my little A320 board can only support this one NVME M.2 X4... been reading alot tonight that it can saturate all 4 sata slots. If this is the case i wonder if my other hd is over riding the M.2 drive causing it to dissapear? Does this sound logical?

I cant get it to work. I wonder if my little A320 board can only support this one NVME M.2 X4... been reading alot tonight that it can saturate all 4 sata slots. If this is the case i wonder if my other hd is over riding the M.2 drive causing it to dissapear? Does this sound logical?
No. The M.2 slot reports directly to the CPU, where as the SATA ports go through A320 chipset. Check out this article from ASUS. Link some of what you read.

jumper156

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Yah know its funny i was just reading that on my phone. Thats where i thought maybe it could be taking up the lanes. It is only a 4 core Ryzen 3 3200G after all. I dont know now im out of ideas . :( I dont like giving up. Got the new M2 coming in a day or two though and its Western Digital so im sure ill have some better luck. I just cant think of why its doing this. I think ill try an old hard after and see if it does it with that as well. I wonder if its the Seagate Barracuda drive causing the issue.

jumper156

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Tried multiple hard drives nothing works. Hoping the new M2 drive will work correctly. If it does not i am assuming it is the motherboard. I am out of ideas though unfortunately.

jumper156

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
A friend here said maybe perhaps try a different power supply so im going to rip out an old one from my other pc and give it a shot just to see. I think its weird that after the pc is off for a few minutes it resets and the m2 drive is not recognized. Will see tonight i guess.