My Main antenna connector is busted...what shall I do ?

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
the aux connector is alright and firm in place but the main connector is a bit loose so i used electrical tape to keep it in place...

The internet is working alright though...Should i swap the aux with main ? is there a wireless card that doesn't need antennas ?

Many thanks

Solution
Do you have a photo?
If things are working, no real need to fix anything.
The purpose of an antenna is to increase a weak signal.
If the signal is near and strong, you can probably run without any antenna at all.
This to a point depends on the laptop manufacture. In most cases the antenna themselves are exactly the same.

This is one of those what do you have to loose if you try it. If it does not work well you just put it back.

You can buy replacement antenna for almost any laptop. The large problem tends to be the amount of disassembly involved to get to the antenna since they are most times behind the screen. You likely will find youtube videos if you have one of the more common laptops.

Now, I see what you mean.

I think, so long as you are getting sufficiently good reception, I would do nothing.

From what I see, wifi antennas tend to come in pairs; I presume for better reception.
Moving one to another may not do anything at all.

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
Doing nothing may be your best option.

However if you insist, you may use electrical tape to try to secure things in place, but you'll need to be careful with it while trying to tape down the wiring, because it may change the tension of the contact with your connector and end up with a worse connection. So it will probably be trial and error.