[SOLVED] My main drive (running Windows) got swapped from SSD to HDD, how do I swap it back?

Oct 22, 2022
Hello everyone,
I don't know how to phrase what just occured after I upgraded some components of my pc (mobo, cpu and psu), so the title might not be accurate.

I have a 256GB SSD that I used as my main drive (running Windows) and a secondary 1TB (7200 RPM 3.5" HDD). Both of them have Windows installed because I added the SSD later onto my build, but this time after booting my PC with the new components, my HDD got selected as the main drive so everything runs painfully slow. No information on either disk was lost apparently and both are properly connected because they do show up, so my question now is: How do I make it so Windows boots up on my SSD instead? (Preferably without having to reformat, etc).

Solution
D
He has windows installed to both. Maybe when you upgraded the motherboard, it depends on where you plugged it into mobo maybe

reset the BIOS, and then choose the proper boot order

also, you upgraded your motherboard without reinstalling windows
Oct 22, 2022
The 1TB Disk 0 is the HDD?
And the 250GB Disk 1 is the SSD?

By what magic did the OS get moved from the original drive to the other drive?
What did you do?
Yeah exactly as you said. They got magically swapped. I didn't do anything at all, I literally just upgraded my mobo/cpu/psu as I said in the original post. But they both have Windows installed, isn't it fine if I just select the SSD as the main drive in the BIOS?

D

Deleted member 14196

He has windows installed to both. Maybe when you upgraded the motherboard, it depends on where you plugged it into mobo maybe

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah exactly as you said. They got magically swapped. I didn't do anything at all, I literally just upgraded my mobo/cpu/psu as I said in the original post. But they both have Windows installed, isn't it fine if I just select the SSD as the main drive in the BIOS?
It can't magically do that.

Power OFF
Physically disconnect the HDD
Power UP

Does it boot properly?

Now...a new motherboard and CPU may cause this to not work, but it cannot automagically clone or install the OS to the other drive.
Ever.
At all.

Oct 22, 2022

Thanks for the motivation, literally just changed the boot order in the BIOS without unplugging anything and it got fixed. Also is it really that bad to not reinstall Windows? I really don't wanna have to config everything again.

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for the motivation, literally just changed the boot order in the BIOS without unplugging anything and it got fixed. Also is it really that bad to not reinstall Windows? I really don't wanna have to config everything again.
1. Not just 'boot order'.
Physically disconnect the HDD and try to boot up

2. Did you do this OS install with the NEW parts?