Ram10 3slot unganged

Solution
My mainboard is Am3 GA-880G-UD3H

current cpu is Amd phenom II X3 B75 it work fine on my mainboard

When i put Amd phenom II X6 1055t my mainboard have smell burn

my psu is Gview 550w (old)
my gpu gt1030oc MSI edition
Ram10 3slot unganged
The 6 core CPU will obviously run hotter...and make the VRM and PSU run hotter too. Any dust trapped on the VRM or PSU heatsink fins can put off odors when warmed up hotter than before. It doesn't take much, and also goes away after a while.

Same sort of thing just happened to me. I hadn't used my son's system for Folding for a long time so when I fired it up and started it into Folding (it works both CPU and GPU at very high levels) it put out a smell that some might consider burning. After...
My mainboard is Am3 GA-880G-UD3H

current cpu is Amd phenom II X3 B75 it work fine on my mainboard

When i put Amd phenom II X6 1055t my mainboard have smell burn

my psu is Gview 550w (old)
my gpu gt1030oc MSI edition
Ram10 3slot unganged
The 6 core CPU will obviously run hotter...and make the VRM and PSU run hotter too. Any dust trapped on the VRM or PSU heatsink fins can put off odors when warmed up hotter than before. It doesn't take much, and also goes away after a while.

Same sort of thing just happened to me. I hadn't used my son's system for Folding for a long time so when I fired it up and started it into Folding (it works both CPU and GPU at very high levels) it put out a smell that some might consider burning. After a couple hours the dust film "cooked" enough and the smell went away.

But if the dust buildup is excessive it may never go away completely. That's a good sign you need to open up and blow out the system with some canned air. But you can't get it all as there's usually a very thin film left that only comes off with wiping. That's something you can't really do on the under sides and deep trapped areas of many heatsink fins, especially inside the PSU. Some do with cotton swabs but my OCD doesn't extend that far. Especially since probably the number one way people have damaged their system is with unnecessary disassembly just to clean dust trapped in hidden areas.

Last edited:
Solution