Question My MB died and I need to rebuild and I need help

Aug 11, 2020
My mother board died, at least pretty sure it did, and my build is quite old so I am thinking I need to get a new motherboard, new ram, and new cpu. But I want to keep my hard drive, ssd, and power supply. My operating software is currently installed on my ssd, what would I need to do to make my system work without a fresh install of windows? If a fresh install of windows 10 is necessary, will it over-right my previous installation? (My ssd is small so I don’t have a lot of space to spare on it.

My current builds symptoms are, it crashed and turned off while I was playing a game, Then when I tried to turn it on it just cycles on and off every couple of seconds.

My build I’m going to do because I need my computer running is:

MB: MSI B450I gaming mini board
CPU: AMD Athlon 220GE Processor with Radeon Vega 3 Graphics
Ram: crucial Balstx 8gb (2x4gb)
Power: 650w

Reactions: danyuzunov

danyuzunov

Reputable
Jul 27, 2020
My mother board died, at least pretty sure it did, and my build is quite old so I am thinking I need to get a new motherboard, new ram, and new cpu. But I want to keep my hard drive, ssd, and power supply. My operating software is currently installed on my ssd, what would I need to do to make my system work without a fresh install of windows? If a fresh install of windows 10 is necessary, will it over-right my previous installation? (My ssd is small so I don’t have a lot of space to spare on it.

My current builds symptoms are, it crashed and turned off while I was playing a game, Then when I tried to turn it on it just cycles on and off every couple of seconds.

if you are getting new motherboard from what i know and what i have experiensed there is no way to use the same windows install! So the answer is yes u need to install new windows! and to install it u should formatate ur ssd so ye that will get rid of every file in ur ssd so u will have space for the new windows!

danyuzunov

Reputable
Jul 27, 2020

and what is ur current power supply cuz i am pretty sure its the problem

danyuzunov

Reputable
Jul 27, 2020
I made a mistake when I first wrote my question, it is indeed 750W.

I don’t know the model number Of my psu off the top of my head sorry It is 8 years old
So its not that psu its random 750w that may be Chinese trash pls check it cuz it can fully kill ur pc but even if it was quality one it can still be dangerous for ur pc cuz its too old and again whats ur cpu pls

If you buy the correct parts, then a "Microsoft registered refurbisher" can provide a Windows key for less than a new purchase. Likely you would buy what you are already planning to buy, but you might also need to buy a hard drive. This doesn't mean you need to use the drive you buy. Perhaps you could buy a tiny inexpensive one. There is a good chance your existing install would not boot on all the new hardware anyway, but you could even install Windows new to the extra drive and use your old one for applications.

Reactions: aguilbert90

Juan_Bijero

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
I purchased an OEM build version of Windows 10 professional cd key. I changed my motherboard and processor a few times and the key is still valid. As long as you are not running multiple PCs on the same key there should never be a problem. You will have to do a fresh install via the Windows media creation tool however. Modern processors need the most up-to-date version of operating system. You will also need to make sure that your new motherboard has certified that it will work with your chosen RAM. So buy RAM after checking the vendors QVL (Qualified Vendors List).

Reactions: aguilbert90
Aug 11, 2020
I purchased an OEM build version of Windows 10 professional cd key. I changed my motherboard and processor a few times and the key is still valid. As long as you are not running multiple PCs on the same key there should never be a problem. You will have to do a fresh install via the Windows media creation tool however. Modern processors need the most up-to-date version of operating system. You will also need to make sure that your new motherboard has certified that it will work with your chosen RAM. So buy RAM after checking the vendors QVL (Qualified Vendors List).

Do you think it’s a power supply issue like danyuzunov said? Or do you think it’s the mother board?

It's as likely a power supply issue as anything else with how the system shuts off. 8 yr old not very good model is pretty likely to die, I'd replace that first.

Juan_Bijero

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
Thermaltake doesn't generally make bad PSUs - in fact, I have a Thermaltake Tough Power Grand 850 W PSU in my system. I would try to see if the computer would do a "warm" reboot. If it does a warm reboot than the PSU is likely the problem. If you can borrow a PSU that doesn't have RGB, I would test the motherboard. If it boots than purchase a new PSU that doesn't waste power with RGB.

Aug 11, 2020
Thermaltake doesn't generally make bad PSUs - in fact, I have a Thermaltake Tough Power Grand 850 W PSU in my system. I would try to see if the computer would do a "warm" reboot. If it does a warm reboot than the PSU is likely the problem. If you can borrow a PSU that doesn't have RGB, I would test the motherboard. If it boots than purchase a new PSU that doesn't waste power with RGB.
I just realized I forgot to mention that the psu is not 8 years, it’s not even a year old. My original psu died and this is a new psu. That’s why I think it’s the mb.

also excuse my novice questions, but I am not familiar with a “warm reboot”, could you explain that to me?

Aug 11, 2020
It's as likely a power supply issue as anything else with how the system shuts off. 8 yr old not very good model is pretty likely to die, I'd replace that first.
I just realized I forgot to mention that the psu is not 8 years, it’s not even a year old. My original psu died and this is a new psu. That’s why I think it’s the mb.

Aug 11, 2020
So its not that psu its random 750w that may be Chinese trash pls check it cuz it can fully kill ur pc but even if it was quality one it can still be dangerous for ur pc cuz its too old and again whats ur cpu pls

Aug 11, 2020
wait did this start happening after ur psu died? Cuz it may really be the mobo which was damaged by the psu
Yes bout 6-8 months ago my original psu died and I got a new psu and the mb and other components seemed to work fine. Until now. So I’m trying to figure out if I should just build a new computer with a new mb or switch out the power supply. I’m thinking new mb, ram, cpu.