Question My MB died and I need to rebuild and I need help

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 11, 2020
My mother board died, at least pretty sure it did, and my build is quite old so I am thinking I need to get a new motherboard, new ram, and new cpu. But I want to keep my hard drive, ssd, and power supply. My operating software is currently installed on my ssd, what would I need to do to make my system work without a fresh install of windows? If a fresh install of windows 10 is necessary, will it over-right my previous installation? (My ssd is small so I don’t have a lot of space to spare on it.

My current builds symptoms are, it crashed and turned off while I was playing a game, Then when I tried to turn it on it just cycles on and off every couple of seconds.

My build I’m going to do because I need my computer running is:

MB: MSI B450I gaming mini board
CPU: AMD Athlon 220GE Processor with Radeon Vega 3 Graphics
Ram: crucial Balstx 8gb (2x4gb)
Power: 650w

Reactions: danyuzunov

danyuzunov

Reputable
Jul 27, 2020
Yes bout 6-8 months ago my original psu died and I got a new psu and the mb and other components seemed to work fine. Until now. So I’m trying to figure out if I should just build a new computer with a new mb or switch out the power supply. I’m thinking new mb, ram, cpu.
ok can u somehow test every part in other pc cuz there is chance that the problem is in the OS

Aug 11, 2020
Is there pc in which u can put ur cpu ram gpu and test them to see which is the problematic one
Lol that makes sense, i will see if I can find one. But I’m running out time, I may see if it is the power supply first and if that’s not the case go ahead and get a new mb cpu and ram just so I can get my computer up and running.

Juan_Bijero

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
The problem is that he doesn't have that model! He has random 750W psu thats why i think its the issue!!+ I gave 25$ more for new psu just cuz it had rgb so ur lil bit insulting me!
I'm not trying to insult you. It's more my commentary on where computer mods are going. Everything has RGB now. I never thought that RAM would have RGB but now it is a popular feature. By the way, I have been building my own PCs since 1995. A warm reboot is when you hold down Control + Alt + delete key and then release after the computer has been turned on. If the computer finishes the boot process and loads Windows then it's likely the PSU. But it could be lots of things. Sometimes loose RAM modules - or Ram modules placed in the wrong slots can cause issues.

Reactions: aguilbert90
Aug 11, 2020
I'm not trying to insult you. It's more my commentary on where computer mods are going. Everything has RGB now. I never thought that RAM would have RGB but now it is a popular feature. By the way, I have been building my own PCs since 1995. A warm reboot is when you hold down Control + Alt + delete key and then release after the computer has been turned on. If the computer finishes the boot process and loads Windows then it's likely the PSU. But it could be lots of things. Sometimes loose RAM modules - or Ram modules placed in the wrong slots can cause issues.
Thank you! Will try that In the morning! 😊

Aug 11, 2020
Okay the warm boot yielded no results, still going through its power cycling. I’m going to take it to a computer repair shop tomorrow and hopefully get conclusive proof it’s either the psu or mb.