[SOLVED] my memory(rated 3000) is showing as 2133MHZ

Oct 13, 2019
I have tried putting xpm 1 & 2 on but it still wont change and i have manually inserted the timings and changed the voltage for ram yet my ram speeds wont increase. I have an MSI gaming plus b450, and my ram is a vulcan t-force PC4-24000 (DDR4-3000).
the timings are 16-18-18-38 and voltage is 1.35.
Also the xmp profile 2 goes to 2933mhz so i set that as my frequency. It may be because i haven't updated my bios for about a year or year and a half.
Please inform me on what is should do as my ram is fine(ran windows diagnostic). I also previously had a 2133mhz ram which overclocked to 2800mhz without difficulty.

Solution
Did you try one stick, in the A2 (2nd slot over from CPU) slot to see if you could get just ONE stick to run at the correct speed and timings? And then try the other stick in the same slot?

UB6JJIp.png

If you did, and it still wouldn't work, then I'd check the memory manufacturers compatibility listings to see if those sticks show as being compatible for that motherboard. NOT the motherboard QVL, the MEMORY manufacturers pages.
How many DIMMs are installed?

If you have two DIMMs installed, and they are not installed in the second and fourth slots going left to right starting at the CPU socket, then move them to the second and fourth slots, which is where they should be for any dual channel motherboard with two DIMMs.

Updating the BIOS would be a very good idea as well so long as you don't have a lower end Athlon installed. Some BIOS updates remove support for the lower end CPUs on MSI motherboards in order to provide Ryzen 3000 support.

Oct 13, 2019
How many DIMMs are installed?

If you have two DIMMs installed, and they are not installed in the second and fourth slots going left to right starting at the CPU socket, then move them to the second and fourth slots, which is where they should be for any dual channel motherboard with two DIMMs.
There are 2 dimms and they are installed in the second and fourth slots.

I have tried putting xpm 1 & 2 on but it still wont change and i have manually inserted the timings and changed the voltage for ram yet my ram speeds wont increase. I have an MSI gaming plus b450, and my ram is a vulcan t-force PC4-24000 (DDR4-3000).
the timings are 16-18-18-38 and voltage is 1.35.
Also the xmp profile 2 goes to 2933mhz so i set that as my frequency. It may be because i haven't updated my bios for about a year or year and a half.
Please inform me on what is should do as my ram is fine(ran windows diagnostic). I also previously had a 2133mhz ram which overclocked to 2800mhz without difficulty.

I suggest you update the BIOS which could improve RAM compability, since that RAM is not listed in the motherboard QVL.
RAM that is not listed in the QVL is not guaranteed to automatically run at rated speed.
You might be able to manually set timings to get the RAM to run at rated speed (3000 MHz)

Oct 13, 2019
I suggest you update the BIOS which could improve RAM compability, since that RAM is not listed in the motherboard QVL.
RAM that is not listed in the QVL is not guaranteed to automatically run at rated speed.
You might be able to manually set timings to get the RAM to run at rated speed (3000 MHz)
OK, will do and I will inform you if it works

Oct 13, 2019
If I choose the latest version will it include all of the previous versions in it?

Oct 13, 2019
OK, I did update the BIOS yet it sti shows 2133mhz even though in bios it shows as overclocked, however in task manager and CPUZ it still shows as 2133MHZ, it's the same problem as b4.

Reboot a couple of times then reset CMOS to default then try again.
Leave XMP enabled, make sure voltage is set to 1.35v, set the memory frequency to 2933 MHz.
Many times, just changing the voltage manually (1.35V) will allow the RAM to run at rated speed, or close to it(2933 MHz).

If that does not do it, then you will have to manually set timings (16-18-18-38), CAS (16) and
Voltage (1.35V).

Oct 13, 2019
Reboot a couple of times then reset CMOS to default then try again.
Leave XMP enabled, make sure voltage is set to 1.35v, set the memory frequency to 2933 MHz.
Many times, just changing the voltage manually (1.35V) will allow the RAM to run at rated speed, or close to it(2933 MHz).

If that does not do it, then you will have to manually set timings (16-18-18-38), CAS (16) and
Voltage (1.35V).
Should I reset the cmos first then reboot or the opposite, and how am I supposed to know when I've resettled a couple of times.

Memory that is LISTED on the motherboard QVL is NOT guaranteed to run at the XMP speed, in about 99% of cases.

Memory listed on the QVL is guaranteed to run at the default JEDEC profile speed for the platform or CPU. VERY seldom do you see a SPECIFIC validation for XMP profile speed on any QVL list. There are a few, but usually that is not the case and when there is not a column that specifically says TESTED or VERIFIED at the XMP profile speed, then it hasn't been. Mostly they ONLY test at the default configuration and 90% of QVL listings are ONLY a validation that the memory will RUN, not that it will run at any particular speed.

The memory manufacturers only have one thing to worry about, and that's whether THEIR memory works on a limited number of boards, rather than the motherboard manufacturers who would have an exhausting time of trying to make sure EVER memory kit out there worked on ALL of their motherboards. Not going to happen. Even testing all kits AT the XMP profile speed for just their flagship boards is unlikely.

The memory compatibility lists offered by G.Skill, Corsair, Crucial, Kingston, etc. are likely to be a much better tool than anything on the motherboard manufacturers product pages.

Plus, he said in the OP that he already tried to manually configure the memory and had the same result.

Last edited:
Try this:

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

It is probably also worth mentioning that for anything that might require an attempt to DO a hard reset in the first place, it is a GOOD IDEA to try a different type of display as many systems will not work properly for some reason with displayport configurations. It is worth trying HDMI if you are having no display or lack of visual ability to enter the BIOS, or no signal messages.

Oct 13, 2019
Try this:

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

It is probably also worth mentioning that for anything that might require an attempt to DO a hard reset in the first place, it is a GOOD IDEA to try a different type of display as many systems will not work properly for some reason with displayport configurations. It is worth trying HDMI if you are having no display or lack of visual ability to enter the BIOS, or no signal messages.
Yep, so I cleared the bios and the problem is still happening, what if I switched the ram so the 4th slot ram goes into second and the second into 4th,is that worth trying?

Check to see if there is a memory timing called command rate that is available for you to configure. If there is, and it is set to 1T, try changing it to 2T. Save settings and restart. If it is at 2T, try changing it to 1T.

Also, while doing any or all of this, make sure the memory speed is manually set to 2933mhz. Ryzen does not like 3000mhz speed settings. It will do 2933mhz, which is close enough for there to be no significant different, or 3200mhz for kits that are, but it does not like 3000mhz on practically all systems.

Also, try getting just one stick to work at the desired settings, with it installed in the second slot.

Oct 13, 2019
Check to see if there is a memory timing called command rate that is available for you to configure. If there is, and it is set to 1T, try changing it to 2T. Save settings and restart. If it is at 2T, try changing it to 1T.

Also, while doing any or all of this, make sure the memory speed is manually set to 2933mhz. Ryzen does not like 3000mhz speed settings. It will do 2933mhz, which is close enough for there to be no significant different, or 3200mhz for kits that are, but it does not like 3000mhz on practically all systems.

Also, try getting just one stick to work at the desired settings, with it installed in the second slot.
So, I tried everything you said and it still doesn't work😩, I'm so sorry for bothering you people so much but thank you for still helping me.
There are also these settings called:
memory failure retry(enabled)
And memory try it! (disabled)

Last edited:
There shouldn't be any need to, and I don't recommend that you do, bother with those. The memory should just "work" whether by XMP or manual configuration of the basics. If it does not then there is either a real incompatibility between the memory and the board or IMC, or a problem with the memory, or a BIOS issue, or else there is a physical problem like bent pins on the motherboard which can be VERY hard to see. There is also the possibility of an overly tight CPU cooler if you have an aftermarket cooler. Sometimes an overly tight cooler can "cock" the CPU in the socket and act just as though there was one or more bent pins. As seen here:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ual-channel-ram-problem.3483682/post-21056253

Oct 13, 2019
There shouldn't be any need to, and I don't recommend that you do, bother with those. The memory should just "work" whether by XMP or manual configuration of the basics. If it does not then there is either a real incompatibility between the memory and the board or IMC, or a problem with the memory, or a BIOS issue, or else there is a physical problem like bent pins on the motherboard which can be VERY hard to see. There is also the possibility of an overly tight CPU cooler if you have an aftermarket cooler. Sometimes an overly tight cooler can "cock" the CPU in the socket and act just as though there was one or more bent pins. As seen here:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ual-channel-ram-problem.3483682/post-21056253
I'm not having the same problem. could the cooler have tightened over time? I also had 2133mhz (8x2)which overclocked to 2800mhz fine(in the same build). I also use the stock cooler for AMD ryzen 5 2600

If you're using the stock cooler, which is a low mounting pressure cooler, then it is not likely to be related to the cooler mounting pressure. Next. LOL.

Please check your current BIOS version and verify that it is ACTUALLY running the BIOS version you think you updated to. Sometimes the BIOS update doesn't actually happen. Open your BIOS and see what version it currently says you have.

Oct 13, 2019
If you're using the stock cooler, which is a low mounting pressure cooler, then it is not likely to be related to the cooler mounting pressure. Next. LOL.

Please check your current BIOS version and verify that it is ACTUALLY running the BIOS version you think you updated to. Sometimes the BIOS update doesn't actually happen. Open your BIOS and see what version it currently says you have.
Yeah, it's the latest one, sorry for late reply.

Did you try one stick, in the A2 (2nd slot over from CPU) slot to see if you could get just ONE stick to run at the correct speed and timings? And then try the other stick in the same slot?

UB6JJIp.png

If you did, and it still wouldn't work, then I'd check the memory manufacturers compatibility listings to see if those sticks show as being compatible for that motherboard. NOT the motherboard QVL, the MEMORY manufacturers pages.

Last edited:
Solution
Oct 13, 2019

Yeah I did try it on the second slot from cpu but I will check out the memory compatibility, I wasn't aware that some memory couldn't be compatible.

Happens all the time. In some cases the actual makeup of the sticks, for whatever reason whether it is the use of specific IC's (Memory chips) or something else, just doesn't want to work beyond the default configuration or even in some cases AT the default configuration, on certain boards. The listings on the memory manufacturers compatibility pages will be more accurate than anything you'll find on the motherboard QVL list.

Then, if it says it IS compatible, I would contact the memory manufacturer and reference this thread, explaining that they won't run at the XMP speed. They may need to replace your sticks if that is the case.

Oct 13, 2019

Huff... Just checked memory compatibility and it isn't actually compatible with any b450 motherboard but it is compatible with b350 gaming plus and x470 gaming plus, so annoying. Anyways thanks for your help, I should've searched up about this as I only thought the only thing was it had to be DDR4.

See my last post, I updated it.

Also, you may be able to return your memory kit to the retailer and get something that is compatible. I much prefer G.Skill above all others for gaming and enthusiast builds, followed secondly by Corsair. I try to stick to the Ripjaws and Trident Z sticks from G.skill. Their value memory or Aegis are for bottom feeders.

For Corsair, the Vengeance is ok, but isn't particularly terrific. Their Dominator platinum is much better and is on par with the higher end Trident Z sticks. Kingston is ok as a third choice but the ONLY Team group memory I recommend are kits that are CL14 because those will be Samsung B-die if they are 3000-3600mhz sticks.

Reactions: DMAN999