Question My microphone doesn't work. I think it's a hardware problem but not sure.

SomeDude485

Reputable
Oct 8, 2016
I have a headset with a microphone attached to it, the microphone works fine because i have tested it on another PC and no problems there. On my PC it doesn't work at all, whenever i try and speak no audio will be heard coming from me.

I have gone through a decent amount of headsets with microphones and also microphones on their own but none have worked, i have been able to talk after getting one of the headsets, but even then when i talked i was wayyyyy too quite, it was very very hard to hear me even screaming didn't help, but even that headset although it worked when i first got it, it just randomly broke in less than 1 week.

I have tried everything that i could find online and none helped. Yes i have given access to my microphone to other apps, yes i have uninstalled the microphone driver from Device Manager and restarted my PC so it would install itself again.

Yes i have checked for the latest driver and i have them installed already, my microphone is set as my default device yes. Discord is one of the programs i have tried to speak on by going to settings and whenever i do so i get this message: "Discord isn't detecting any input from your mic. Please check that you've selected the right input device".

I am able to change the input device on discord, i have chosen each of the 3 options and none of them work. Another thing i can add is that my audio jack slots in the front of my case don't work at all, i have actually replaced them but that did not fix the problem, I use the slots in the back which seem to work.

This leads me to my theory which is that this is a hardware problem which has something to do with my sound card or maybe motherboard if they are even connected in some way. Am i wrong or right? Does anyone have any idea about something i can try to do on my PC to fix this? Is replacing my sound card or motherboard the only way?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a headset with a microphone attached to it, the microphone works fine because i have tested it on another PC and no problems there. On my PC it doesn't work at all, whenever i try and speak no audio will be heard coming from me.

I have gone through a decent amount of headsets with microphones and also microphones on their own but none have worked, i have been able to talk after getting one of the headsets, but even then when i talked i was wayyyyy too quite, it was very very hard to hear me even screaming didn't help, but even that headset although it worked when i first got it, it just randomly broke in less than 1 week.

I have tried everything that i could find online and none helped. Yes i have given access to my microphone to other apps, yes i have uninstalled the microphone driver from Device Manager and restarted my PC so it would install itself again.

Yes i have checked for the latest driver and i have them installed already, my microphone is set as my default device yes. Discord is one of the programs i have tried to speak on by going to settings and whenever i do so i get this message: "Discord isn't detecting any input from your mic. Please check that you've selected the right input device".

I am able to change the input device on discord, i have chosen each of the 3 options and none of them work. Another thing i can add is that my audio jack slots in the front of my case don't work at all, i have actually replaced them but that did not fix the problem, I use the slots in the back which seem to work.

This leads me to my theory which is that this is a hardware problem which has something to do with my sound card or maybe motherboard if they are even connected in some way. Am i wrong or right? Does anyone have any idea about something i can try to do on my PC to fix this? Is replacing my sound card or motherboard the only way?

If you did not buy a separate motherboard, then your sound cars IS on your motherboard, they are connected.

Your audio jacks may not be working because you have them not connected properly to the motherboard audio headers. Are you sure you have the microphone in the correct port on the computer? Are you using any sort of adapters between the mic and the computer? You said you checked for drivers, how? If you don't know that the sound card is on the motherboard you may be looking for drivers in the wrong place. You need to get them from the motherboard vendor support site. Also make sure you don't have the mic level low or disabled or you have the audio ports configured oddly in the driver options.

If nothing works, you can get another sound card, this one is good for the price to use with a headset https://www.newegg.com/creative-sound-blaster-e1/p/N82E16829102069

SomeDude485

Reputable
Oct 8, 2016
I received help from someone from Microsoft support and after i gave him all the info he needed his final answer was this.

So, the BIOS for this machine dates back to 2010 and the fact that is improving impossible to find any official driver information about the motherboard would likely suggest there might be a compatibility issue.

It turned out to be an issue with my motherboard and the fact that it was so old and such bad quality, that you couldn't even find decent drivers about it online.

I thank you for trying to help but i think that my question is already answered. If you think that this may not be the case then i'd be more than happy to try out any suggestion you might have. To answer you questions, I checked for drivers using software that detects if you are missing any drivers of some sort and it turned out i had the latest ones, i also updated Windows to the latest version. My headset's wire has 2 jacks, green and pink, green is for the headphones while pink is for the microphone, i plug these in the back of my PC directly and no adapters or anything like that is used, I assume i do use the correct port because if i didn't i'd get a warning from Windows that i didn't plug my microphone in the right slot, everytime i unplug it and plug it back in Windows gives me the confirmation that a new device has been plugged in properly, and the Realtek HD Audio Managar confirms this too, when i plug my microphone in it says that it has been plugged in the Mic In slot. I did check my mic's level and sound but that seems to be fine. I don't know how to check if my audio ports are configured oddly or not, how do i do this?

Aug 16, 2019
ik it's basics and you've probably already tried it but right click your volume on the task bar, click open sound settings, on your input devices see if your microphone is on the drop-down list if it's not try the trouble shooting button below it, and check "manage sound options" below the button too, make sure it's enabled.

additionally scroll down to related settings and click sound control panel and see if your microphone is there, right click it and set as default communication device, then check the "recording" tab see if it's there and enabled. (make sure show disabled and disconnected devices are being shown) if that fails refer to "setup a microphone" 'under have a question?' and see if anything there helps, hopefully you can get the issue sorted and this was of some sort of help despite likely having tried it already :D

I received help from someone from Microsoft support and after i gave him all the info he needed his final answer was this.

So, the BIOS for this machine dates back to 2010 and the fact that is improving impossible to find any official driver information about the motherboard would likely suggest there might be a compatibility issue.

It turned out to be an issue with my motherboard and the fact that it was so old and such bad quality, that you couldn't even find decent drivers about it online.

I thank you for trying to help but i think that my question is already answered. If you think that this may not be the case then i'd be more than happy to try out any suggestion you might have. To answer you questions, I checked for drivers using software that detects if you are missing any drivers of some sort and it turned out i had

Is this an OEM pre-built system? You may want to put some details about what computer model/brand this is and the motherboard brand and model. Also what version of Windows you are running.

Driver check software does not always work and we never recommend it. You want to go to the vendor's support page to find any drivers.

SomeDude485

Reputable
Oct 8, 2016
I have already tried what you suggested Mr.Roxxus, but thanks for taking time to try and help :). The guy from Microsoft asked for screenshots which i gave him, View: https://imgur.com/a/9AqxMqp
that what he asked for, if you want only the Motherboard's name that would be G41mxp-V Foxconn.

I didn't personally build this PC from scratch but i did order a company to do so for me, i told them what i wanted but didn't specify everything, i only said what graphics card, how much ram, but i left out stuff such as the motherboard, soundcard, etc, which to me didn't seem that imporant, so the motherboard was chosen by them. I don't know if they made the PC from scratch or just found a pre-build one which fit my description, i sadly cannot answer that.

My Windows version is 1903. If the screenshot doesn't give u all the info needed please ask me for anything extra you need to know, thanks for trying to help.