[SOLVED] My microphone echos when I do not have it plugged in

tjw4811

Prominent
Jul 29, 2019
Hi,

My microphone "echos" without being plugged in. If I am on a discord call and watching a video with my microphone unplugged, my microphone will echo the video that I am watching. It only echos the loud parts of the videos eg. if someone screams or talks loudly in the video, the people in my discord vc will hear it despite my microphone being unplugged. The echos sound as if I were listening to a video on my phone from a meter or so away from my mic. There are no other microphones on my cables or plugged into my PC.

I have tried the following to fix it:
  1. Switch the cables
  2. Switch the sound card of the headphones
  3. Reinstalled drivers
  4. Checked that it was not listening to the mic in control panel
  5. Used different headphones

If you could help me out it would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Solution
Hm. When you say "without being plugged in" I'll take it that you mean that the cable itself to your microphone is not connected to your computer in any capacity. So I'll base my suggestion around that.

Have you checked if your stereo mix is disabled? Since I seem to recall that stereo mix can cause others to hear audio from videoes and so on. Its the only thing I can think of if your microphone is not plugged in at all. They wouldn't happen to be able to hear themselves talk as well? Because if that is the case then I'd certainly suspect that the stereo mix on your computer isn't disabled.

Sorry if you have already checked this. But I figured I'd suggest it since I couldn't see any mentions of it directly in your post.

Macif

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2014
Hm. When you say "without being plugged in" I'll take it that you mean that the cable itself to your microphone is not connected to your computer in any capacity. So I'll base my suggestion around that.

Have you checked if your stereo mix is disabled? Since I seem to recall that stereo mix can cause others to hear audio from videoes and so on. Its the only thing I can think of if your microphone is not plugged in at all. They wouldn't happen to be able to hear themselves talk as well? Because if that is the case then I'd certainly suspect that the stereo mix on your computer isn't disabled.

Sorry if you have already checked this. But I figured I'd suggest it since I couldn't see any mentions of it directly in your post.

Solution