[SOLVED] My microphone sounds like an alien is trying to abduct me

Sithex

Distinguished
May 7, 2014
This is what my microphone sounds like: https://old.vocaroo.com/i/s0WuKAPGp4pW
I had no idea it was happening until my friends kept asking whether the aliens got me yet.

I don't hear it through my headset unless I listen to the device through windows or another device such as Discord. It's a weird issue, it builds up like energy and I can dismantle the energy by either
  1. Talking, making any type of noise, for instance, I snapped my fingers and it stopped.
  2. By touching the microphone.

It starts low and starts to get louder the longer I'm quiet. It does seem to get worse depending on which usb port its using? But honestly, I don't know if it's just coincidence. I've tried putting it on the mobo ports and the case ports, while also trying a usb extender hub (which seems the worst). In the past, I had an issue where I used a powerline ethernet device and it caused a static noise, not like this one. Which makes me think its a grounding issue? I'm not really sure how to go about this...

PC Specs:
i7-7700k
RTX 2070
24gb ram mixed
GA-B250M-DS3H (perhaps this is the problem?)
Rosewill Capstone 750m
NZXT S340 Mid Tower Case
I also have an NZXT HUE+, maybe its causing grounding issues or something of the sort?
Mic: AT2020 USB (I just purchased a new cord, because I thought that was the problem)

Solution
it sounds to me ears like the mic sensitivity is too high. its picking up on something in the background, or trying to and its almost like an echo chamber, the freq slowly increasing.
the tap or other loud sound temporarily corrects this, then silence starts the issue again.
have you tried with other mics? do they do the same?
have you tried the mic on other devices? does it do the same?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
it sounds to me ears like the mic sensitivity is too high. its picking up on something in the background, or trying to and its almost like an echo chamber, the freq slowly increasing.
the tap or other loud sound temporarily corrects this, then silence starts the issue again.

Solution

Sithex

Distinguished
May 7, 2014
I dont have any mics, but my friend has the exact same one and his is fine. Since ive made this post, it magically hasn't done it yet, but when you said mic sensitivity I remembered that I changed the sensitivity once my friend said it was too loud, since then it hasn't done it. If it starts again Im going to use his mic on my setup and see if the problem persists.

thanks for help