[SOLVED] My mobo fried?

Aldebaraan

Reputable
Nov 15, 2016
8
0
4,510
0
A few days ago, i removed my mobo from the case to test a new video card. After testing (the card was ok, i even installed the drivers) and restarting the computer, it refused to do so.

I checked every component (re-seating things/etc) and the fans of the cpu cooler and the gpu turned on but the computer did not boot at all. After a few more testings they refused to even start the fans, and i saw smoke and burning smell coming from the case motherboard connectors.

I "concluded" that it was my PSU that fried and proceeded to get a new one. Today it has arrived but it didn't fix anything. The mobo refuses to turn on (the psu fans too). I also tried to turn it on without the case power cable (with a screwdriver) but nothing still.

Did it fry?

Obs: It's not the power cable or wall plug because i tried another ones.
 
Last edited:

JWNoctis

Upstanding
Jun 9, 2021
319
69
290
5
Smoke and burning smell? Yes, it's fried. Lucky it's not the capacitor blowing foul-smelling goop everywhere.

Could have been the mounting screws, could have been conductive dust or tin whiskers shorting something that really shouldn't be bridged, could have been static electricity when you put it back in.

Time to order a replacement. With luck the rest of the components might still be fine, but it's hard to tell right now.
 

LinuxDevice

Reputable
May 20, 2017
505
37
5,240
87
I would guess that one of the mounting screws shorted something to ground. Hard to say without a lot of guessing, but smoke from those connectors is a bad sign that something did fry. It is perhaps a bit late to suggest checking if the mounting screws are slightly off in some way. On the other hand, this is one of the reasons I only buy power supplies which have short circuit protection...so if something like that hits, the power supply itself won't also fry (which can fry other components like a chain of falling dominoes). I doubt it will help, but you might try the motherboard outside of the chassis again, and without the video card.

This is also a case where a thermal camera is nice...you could literally look where the heat is at and see many such faults as a heat image.
 

Aldebaraan

Reputable
Nov 15, 2016
8
0
4,510
0
I would guess that one of the mounting screws shorted something to ground. Hard to say without a lot of guessing, but smoke from those connectors is a bad sign that something did fry. It is perhaps a bit late to suggest checking if the mounting screws are slightly off in some way. On the other hand, this is one of the reasons I only buy power supplies which have short circuit protection...so if something like that hits, the power supply itself won't also fry (which can fry other components like a chain of falling dominoes). I doubt it will help, but you might try the motherboard outside of the chassis again, and without the video card.

This is also a case where a thermal camera is nice...you could literally look where the heat is at and see many such faults as a heat image.
Tried without the gpu, same thing.
 

JWNoctis

Upstanding
Jun 9, 2021
319
69
290
5
Smoke and burning smell? Yes, it's fried. Lucky it's not the capacitor blowing foul-smelling goop everywhere.

Could have been the mounting screws, could have been conductive dust or tin whiskers shorting something that really shouldn't be bridged, could have been static electricity when you put it back in.

Time to order a replacement. With luck the rest of the components might still be fine, but it's hard to tell right now.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS