[SOLVED] My modem has a built in router but it sucks. Can i buy a separate router to improve the wifi range?

FiliDapura

Reputable
Mar 18, 2017
I have a modem with a built in router but the signal is very weak. My internet works fine but the wifi's range is short. When I'm 20+ feet away from it, the signal drops to 1 bar. Sometimes it drops completely. I want to know if i can buy a router to fix the wifi range? Thanks in advance!

Solution
Yes, you can certainly do this. Do you also have the option to rid yourself with the current combo unit and to install a stand alone modem as well (to go with your standalone router)?

FiliDapura

Reputable
Mar 18, 2017
Yes, you can certainly do this. Do you also have the option to rid yourself with the current combo unit and to install a stand alone modem as well (to go with your standalone router)?
Thanks for the reply. Currently, I do not have the option to go with a stand alone modem. Does that mean I can't use the router with the combo unit?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Thanks for the reply. Currently, I do not have the option to go with a stand alone modem. Does that mean I can't use the router with the combo unit?
No, not at all. Just makes for a better long term solution. You can purchase your own router and connect to the current device. Many people do this for the same reasons you originally mentioned.

What is your budget and from where do you purchase PC parts?

FiliDapura

Reputable
Mar 18, 2017

FiliDapura

Reputable
Mar 18, 2017