[SOLVED] My modem often restarts by himself...

madican

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2016
I have this modem model "eci b-focus 0-4g2pwm" and been using over 5 years. But last 2 years it's oftenly restarts by himself like every month... The modem seems to be all right, never fall and the Internet also works well with the stated speeds. But this peodoric self-disconnection starts to annoy me, i already called my provider and said about this problem, but they just didn't say anything, but just advised to completely turn off the modem for 5 minutes and then turn it on again. My issue still continues to restarting himself. I wonder does anyone else have this issue just like me or this modem just a bad-quality?

Solution
Routers should not just randomly restart themselves. (The same is true for most things of any sort.)

And intermittent problems are tough to troubleshoot.

I would be very surprised if you are not somehow being charged for using the router the ISP sent you. Take a close look at your monthly bill.

Try connecting the router directly to a wall outlet and not through the UPS. Even if you need to temporarily use an extension cord.

Determine by passing the USP or using another wall outlet ends the restarts.

If not, call your ISP, report the problem, and request a new router.

Ralston18

Titan
This device?

https://www.router-reset.com/info/ECI/B-FOCuS-O-4G2PW

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/929057/Eci-Telecom-Ont-B-Focus-O-4f2pw.html?page=20#manual

I believe then, that you mean "router" - not "modem". However, modem and router can be separate or combined.

When you use "restart" do you mean that the power actually goes off (no status lights, etc.,) or that internet connectivity is momentarily lost?

Reference the Status LEDs shown on physically numbered Page 12 of the manual - which lights are on or off when the router restarts?

Either way, the symptoms suggest a loose connection somewhere. Electrical power or the ISP service connection to the modem.

Check all plugs and cables. Replace, where possible, existing cables with known working cables.

Could even be the electrical outlet itself or a problem in the circuit serving the wall outlet. Do any other devices experience problems: lights flicker, tv blips/goes briefly black, etc.?

If the restart problem continues then the modem, being 5 years old, may simply be starting to fail. Some component has degraded and for what ever reason just triggers a restart.

Do you own the modem/router or are you renting it from your ISP? If renting, then your ISP should be able to provide a replacement.

If you own the router then troubleshoot as best you can via the User Manual and cable swaps. Try another outlet if possible - just as a matter of elimination.

Reactions: SamirD and madican

madican

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2016
This device?

https://www.router-reset.com/info/ECI/B-FOCuS-O-4G2PW

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/929057/Eci-Telecom-Ont-B-Focus-O-4f2pw.html?page=20#manual

I believe then, that you mean "router" - not "modem". However, modem and router can be separate or combined.

When you use "restart" do you mean that the power actually goes off (no status lights, etc.,) or that internet connectivity is momentarily lost?

Reference the Status LEDs shown on physically numbered Page 12 of the manual - which lights are on or off when the router restarts?

Either way, the symptoms suggest a loose connection somewhere. Electrical power or the ISP service connection to the modem.

Check all plugs and cables. Replace, where possible, existing cables with known working cables.

Could even be the electrical outlet itself or a problem in the circuit serving the wall outlet. Do any other devices experience problems: lights flicker, tv blips/goes briefly black, etc.?

If the restart problem continues then the modem, being 5 years old, may simply be starting to fail. Some component has degraded and for what ever reason just triggers a restart.

Do you own the modem/router or are you renting it from your ISP? If renting, then your ISP should be able to provide a replacement.

If you own the router then troubleshoot as best you can via the User Manual and cable swaps. Try another outlet if possible - just as a matter of elimination.

Yes, sometimes I confuse the modem from the router :)
"restart" i didnt use this, the router it himself restarts without my permission and yea internet connections are loses and then back to normal
Reference the Status LEDs: On my router only are 6 lights of is on and all of this 6 turns off momentally when it suddenly shutdowns and restarts
Electrical power: My router connected to the UPS (CyberPower 1500)
Plugs and cables are ok, there is no problem
Nope any other devices are not flicks, blips.
So it just starts to fail over a long time? And yeah it was worked 24/7 maybe this might be affected?
No, I don’t pay for the rental of the router, they set it to me.

Thanks for answering. Also does other router models are works fine without single loosing by suddenly restarts himself? Anyway thanks for help

Ralston18

Titan
Routers should not just randomly restart themselves. (The same is true for most things of any sort.)

I would be very surprised if you are not somehow being charged for using the router the ISP sent you. Take a close look at your monthly bill.

Try connecting the router directly to a wall outlet and not through the UPS. Even if you need to temporarily use an extension cord.

Reactions: madican
Solution

madican

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2016

Ok, thanks for help!