Question My monitor is lagging/unusable at higher refresh rates

Apr 8, 2023
Hi! I've had this problem for a long time now, I have a 144hz monitor and a gtx 1070. I normally have a couple of vertical lines on the screen that come and go but that is not the main problem.

The main problem is that I used to be perfectly fine at 144hz but I started getting these blurry horizontal lines across the screen and it would also make lag, as in my mouse would teleport everywhere and eventually, the screen would turn black and static with a blurry line at the top. I found that changing my monitor refresh rate down 1 level (to 120hz) fixed this and kept going as normal. However, about 3 months later, the same things started happening and I had to drop it again to 99 hz. This has just happened again and now I'm at 60hz. When I check task manager my graphics usage will spike to 100 sometimes when this is happening.

I've tried reinstalling graphics drivers, windows updates and changing my cable but I'm not sure if it's a monitor of graphics card issue and I can't seem to find a thread about this.

Thanks guys!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Without another graphics card to try (unless you have igpu capable of outputting 144Hz) or another monitor, can only go so far. Does this happen as well in Windows or just playing games? Does monitor have freesync/gsync? What about settings in the monitor itself? Like fps or blur reduction modes. If there's reset to defaults option in monitor, try that.

Scan for corrupt files in Windows;
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...em-files-79aa86cb-ca52-166a-92a3-966e85d4094e

Troubleshooting with different parts as suggested above would be recommended if nothing else (regarding settings or repairing windows) remedies the problem.