[SOLVED] My monitor is saying I'm at 4k when I'm set to 1440 for just one game ?

Zinni

Prominent
Oct 15, 2021
I just upgraded from a 1080 monitor to an LG 1440 monitor.

There is one game that I play where the monitor keeps giving me this message:

"The screen is not currently set to the recommended resolution.
Configure the PC resolution to 2560x1440.

Current resolution : 3840x2160.
Recommended resolution : 2560x1440"

I have the in-game settings (as well as my Windows display settings) at 2560x1440. I've tried other games and have gotten the same message, but it would say the current resolution was 1080, from how it was set up previously. When I would switch them to 1440, the message would go away. Oddly, the game in question did not give me a "current resolution: 1080" message.

I've contacted the support team for the game and they have no answers.

When I switch the game to Windowed Fullscreen I don't get the message but the game, oddly enough, has a little more detail. In Fullscreen it looks slightly blurry. I lose frames in Windowed Fullscreen though.

I've disconnected all other monitors and I still get the message when launching the game.

I'm running Windows 10 and have a 3080ti. I've checked all resolution settings I can think of, namely Nvidia control panel and Windows display settings.

Would anyone know what's causing this?

Thank you!

Solution
You maybe using Dynamic Super Resolution to render the game at a higher resolution and then downscaling it to fit the current resolution. Check your Nvidia settings.

About the only thing I can think of.
It turns out that it's an LG issue. I had to install CRU (Custom Resolution Utility) and remove all reslolution options above 1440p for the monitor. I found the answer on the LG Ultragear subReddit. LG has a TV mode in their software that for some reason likes to bump Unreal Engine games set at 1440p up to 4k, which in turn has to be scaled back down to 1440p, which made the image slightly softer. Once I removed every option above 1440p the message went away and the image was sharp again.

Zinni

Prominent
Oct 15, 2021
You maybe using Dynamic Super Resolution to render the game at a higher resolution and then downscaling it to fit the current resolution. Check your Nvidia settings.

About the only thing I can think of.
It turns out that it's an LG issue. I had to install CRU (Custom Resolution Utility) and remove all reslolution options above 1440p for the monitor. I found the answer on the LG Ultragear subReddit. LG has a TV mode in their software that for some reason likes to bump Unreal Engine games set at 1440p up to 4k, which in turn has to be scaled back down to 1440p, which made the image slightly softer. Once I removed every option above 1440p the message went away and the image was sharp again.

Solution