[SOLVED] My monitor light keeps blinking green with no display.

sooraj2awesome

Reputable
Apr 20, 2018
So a few days ago i noticed that my old dell monitor e198wfp had a blinking led light with absolutely no display. At first i fixed it buy just pushing the power cable deeper into the monitor socket. Did th is for 2 days and today morning it didn't help. I removed and reinserted a lot of things like gpu and all other cables and it worked again. Turned my pc off and just a few hours ago, i tried to turn it on but the same problem again. So i connected my monitor to my laptop and still no display with blinking light. Is it safe to assume that my monitor is dying?

Solution
Yes - a "damaged" capacitor could actually be a loose connection, A bad solder joint where the capacitor is not tightly in place and thus goes "on" and "off" on its' own.

There may or may not be some troubleshooting procedure that could prove the matter either way. Most likely would require taking the monitor apart and doing some testing via a multimeter or other (possibly proprietary) test instruments.

[Side bar: Do be very wary of YT videos. Especially any offered "fixes".]

As for the blinking light, the various states (blinking, solid, flashing rate(s), all can have different meanings.

The meanings are often listed in the User Guide/Manual. Or perhaps some troubleshooting section at the manufacturer's website. Sometimes...

Ralston18

Titan
Were you able to try other known working power and video cables?

Try another known working monitor on your pc and laptop.

If the problem "follows the monitor" then the monitor is certainly suspect.

How old is the dell monitor? Constantly used?

sooraj2awesome

Reputable
Apr 20, 2018

I haven't tried any other cables. All i use is a vga to hdmi converter as my monitor doesn't have an hdmi port. I bought this monitor maybe 7-8 years ago now but I've been using it for my new desktop for two years and i use it very often for gaming. Maybe 7-10 hours a day. I'll see if i can find another spare monitor. Could it be some cpu issue? I mean i played for like 2 hours this morning tbh. There was also an instance where my monitor showed DELL and then turned off for a couple of times.

sooraj2awesome

Reputable
Apr 20, 2018

Okay so i JUST simply removed my video cable from the back of my cpu and it turned on again. What does this mean? Faulty cable?

Ralston18

Titan
Same issue currently I am facing. Please provide me proper solution to solve this issue. In my laptop, full screen become green and not able to work anything.

@sophiakaile49

Mixing issues that are similar but still different amongst multiple posters within one thread will likely become confusing for all concerned.

No harm per se so do not worry about that.

Just open a new/your own thread to directly address the laptop/monitor problem that you are experiencing.

Be sure to include laptop and monitor specs along with any troubleshooting and/or solutions you have attempted. Thanks.

Ralston18

Titan
@sooraj2awesome

It could be a faulty cable, a loose connection, debris inside the port....

Use a bright flashlight and magnifying glass to carefully inspect pins and ports.

Try some additional connections and reconnections while wiggling and gently twisting the video cable and the plug.

The objective is to discover some consistently repeatable action that causes the display to fail.

sooraj2awesome

Reputable
Apr 20, 2018
@sooraj2awesome

Use a bright flashlight and magnifying glass to carefully inspect pins and ports.

Try some additional connections and reconnections while wiggling and gently twisting the video cable and the plug.

The objective is to discover some consistently repeatable action that causes the display to fail.
Here's what i don't understand. If i somehow get it working, i can use my pc for as long as i want. But if i shutdown and turn my monitor off from the power supply, then issue pops up again the next time i tru to turn it on.

sooraj2awesome

Reputable
Apr 20, 2018
@sooraj2awesome

Okay so i just noticed something. Initially no display and just blinking green light. After removing and reinserting the power cord from the back of the monitor, my display flashes DELL and turns off repeatedly.
I then removed the vga cable from the back of the cpu and i get constant display with a no signal sign. But when i put it back in, blinking DELL sign again. On the third try, it started working. What do you think?

Ralston18

Titan
Loose connection.

More specifically a "make and break" connection that sometimes makes contact and the device works.

Then vibration, expansion/contraction causes another disconnect.

Try the wiggle test on the VGA cable: gently twist, bend, press along its' length and especially so around the plug ends. If you have another known working VGA, try that cable.

Computer:

Power down, unplug, and open the case.

Again use a bright flashlight to inspect the VGA port from both inside and out. Press and wiggle gently.

See if there is any obvious damage or movement with respect to case or motherboard.

Key is to identify the location of the fault: computer, cable, or monitor.

Matter of elimination.

sooraj2awesome

Reputable
Apr 20, 2018
Loose connection.

More specifically a "make and break" connection that sometimes makes contact and the device works.

Then vibration, expansion/contraction causes another disconnect.

Try the wiggle test on the VGA cable: gently twist, bend, press along its' length and especially so around the plug ends. If you have another known working VGA, try that cable.

Computer:

Power down, unplug, and open the case.

Again use a bright flashlight to inspect the VGA port from both inside and out. Press and wiggle gently.

See if there is any obvious damage or movement with respect to case or motherboard.

Key is to identify the location of the fault: computer, cable, or monitor.

Matter of elimination.
But if my monitor was fine, then shouldn't i be getting atleast the no signal sign on my monitor? The vga cable only shows the output from the cpu right? And if i can't even get that, can i narrow it down to the power cable of monitor or the monitor itself?
Also i noticed that if i move the power cable connected to the monitor a bit, the rate of blinking changes. Also i checked my cpu and everything seems to be intact and tight. But the power cable to the monitor sways left and right a bit but it's all the way in.
The thing is saw a few videos on YT that suggests that a blinking light could mean that some capacitor within the monitor could be damaged.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Yes - a "damaged" capacitor could actually be a loose connection, A bad solder joint where the capacitor is not tightly in place and thus goes "on" and "off" on its' own.

There may or may not be some troubleshooting procedure that could prove the matter either way. Most likely would require taking the monitor apart and doing some testing via a multimeter or other (possibly proprietary) test instruments.

[Side bar: Do be very wary of YT videos. Especially any offered "fixes".]

As for the blinking light, the various states (blinking, solid, flashing rate(s), all can have different meanings.

The meanings are often listed in the User Guide/Manual. Or perhaps some troubleshooting section at the manufacturer's website. Sometimes the meaning does not tell you anything at all beyond "contact the manufacturer". (Just went through a similar process for a Dyson vacuum cleaner.)

Sometimes the lights (LED's for the most part) are very basic. The light may only sense the presence of power available via the power cord. Not that the serviced device is necessarily working or not working.

Remember that many devices contain multiple PCBs (Printed Circuit Boards). One PCB may handle or manage incoming power, another may be responsible for the incoming video signal(s), or audio, Another PCB may responsible for the conversion of the incoming signals to actually get an image on the screen. Etc. etc.

Any given PCB or component can fail yet other's are left partially functional and that always causes confusion.

Solution