My monitor loses signal after a few minutes of gaming

BigStrongGreg

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014
But it is only CERTAIN games. So far Max Payne 3, Telltale game of thrones, and Battlefield 4. I start playing but after a certain amount of time (2-10 min), I hear my GPU fan rev up for a second then go back to normal as I lose all signal to my display. I still hear the game audio and my can still talk to my friends in teamspeak. The only way to fix it is to reset my PC via the power button.
I've read people say that it is overheating but my temps never go above 60c (according to CCC, MSI afterburner, and HWmonitor). Even right before the crashes I would be watching the temp monitor from MSI Afterburner and it will be at 55c-60c. Plus if it was over heating how come can I play BF3 and DayZ for hours without issue. I switched from HDMI to DVI, no luck. Tried multiple versions of drivers, no luck. Windows 7 to 8, no luck (which makes me think this is a gpu issue). Tried a second monitor to see if I could get a display on that after the crash, no luck. But the one thing that worked was underclocking my GPU from 1000mhz to 850mhz. It has stopped the crashing but I am curious as to why it does this, is my GPU dieing or something? It's very frustration not being able to use my GPU at factory clock on certain games. I've been through multiple threads on the site looking for an anwser but have come up empty. Thanks for any help.

• XFX Radeon HD 7770
    Pentium g2130
    h61m p31/w8
    corsair cx 500

josephcreed7

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014
Its possible your PSU is not putting out enough power. I believe this is the problem after all the testing you have done. It could also explain why your GPU works underclocked. Has this setup worked with the same games/settings before? 500w is the bare minimum for your system. Your power supply is rated at a MAX of 500. Most likely it puts out 100watts less.

Also run stock clock settings all around and tell us what happens.

BigStrongGreg

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014

I did this a few days ago, forgot to mention it in the post. It did not have much dust in it at all but I blew it out, reseated, and made sure the PCI-e connector was in all the way. No luck with that.

BigStrongGreg

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014

It should be getting enough power, I only have a Pentium along side it and this card is not power hungry at all. Besides the games that I mentioned I do play all my other games at factory clock settings and if I can do that with those game why not these few, which makes me think the card should be getting enough power? I can play Battlefield 3 all day with no problem but after a few minutes of telltales game of thrones (which looks like a potato) it will crash. I've seen people say that the game(s) could be trying to run at a resolution that my monitor does not support but I am at 1080p and that is what the game is at as well.

Edit: I remade my PC on pcpartpicker.com and the estimated wattage is only at 219w
Heres the link if you need to see it: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rzVpNG

josephcreed7

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014

josephcreed7

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014
Usually if you run your games at a resolution beyond your native resolution you can hit a few problems. Try running your native resolution settings and reducing in game effects gradually. Do you see a performance increase? What are your FPS in game at current settings?

BigStrongGreg

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014

I do run the games at my native res (1080p) and have tried with various settings, still get the crashing.

TRENDING THREADS