My Monitor says "No Signal" on 90% of my PC boots

Jason_169

Reputable
Sep 11, 2016
i have this really wierd problem that started a while ago it started simple one day i booted my PC and turned on my monitor and it got no signal no problem right just restart and it worked but it just kept getting worse now if i want it to work i need to boot my PC like 30 times and on one of them it works and gets a signal i keep unplugging and re-plugging cables between each try too to maximize my chances whats really wierd is that everything could be working good and i decide to say restart my PC so far the monitor is still working showing the "Shutting Down" screen and then PC turns back on and monitor doesnt get a signal i mean i didnt move a muscle during that time i couldnt have moved the cables or anything oh and yes the PC itself boots well does a normal beep with fans and HDD spinning sounds i am using Display Port (and tried DVI) and its connected to my GTX 970 (so not onboard GPU if that matters) so if anyone can please help me understand WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING

I would be very grateful

austintx1985

Prominent
Nov 8, 2017
It honestly sounds like you have a cable that is going bad. If you have any other cables you can try, that would be the best option. It could be as simple as a single pin in the cable that is bent so it is not always getting a solid connection. Hope this helps!

Jason_169

Reputable
Sep 11, 2016
i tried another DP cable and a DVI cable that i borrowed from a friend who was using it before i took it so it should have worked not so sure about the the other DP cable i tried though

austintx1985

Prominent
Nov 8, 2017
If none of the other cables that you have tried are working, then it's time to move to the more expensive options: monitor and graphics card. Do you have another monitor you could maybe try using? That should help to rule that out.

Does your monitor have a menu button that you can press to view the monitor's setup options? If that works reliably, I would say it is probably not the monitor causing the problem. You could try removing your GPU and connecting to the motherboard's video port (assuming you have integrated graphics on your cpu). If that works reliably, it would point to your GPU or the Pcie express slot it is plugged into. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your GPU.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure if related but for me if i turn the monitor on too soon within a second after turning pc on i get no signal until i power cycle monitor again.

So i just got in the habbit of waiting a few seconds before turning on monitor.

Gtx 1070 + xb270hu displayport

Jason_169

Reputable
Sep 11, 2016
yeah that happened to me even when everything was working fine but you might have guessed that when you are desperate and want to use your PC you try everything i tried to turn it before at the same time right after and long after but mostly i try to turn on the monitor right after i hear the beep because its what i am sure of that it works

Jason_169

Reputable
Sep 11, 2016
so i just tried another monitor and it didnt work too but then i tried connecting that other monitor to my onboard graphics and it worked then i tried connecting my original monitor to the onboard graphics and it worked so what does that mean for my GPU i mean it lights up and its fans start spinning whenever i turn on my PC besides everything works fine after some restarts so what could the potential problem be??

Jason_169

Reputable
Sep 11, 2016
unfortunately i cant install or uninstall a gpu but how can it be the gpu? i never heard of a gpu working at times and not working at times and when it does work games work fine