My monitor stays blank when i turn my pc on

shanemorrell

Reputable
Apr 6, 2014
So about 2 months ago while using my PC the computer suddenly crashed to a black screen with orange lines going vertically through the black screen. I was unsure of why this would happen and through the help of Tom's Hardware myself and others concluded that my video card had failed. I purchased a new card and hooked it up and alas nothing happened. There is still a blank screen and nothing happens. Then thorugh the help of others concluded that it was my motherboard all along. I got a new motherboard just hooked everything up and still there is nothing. The pc turns on fine and there seems to be no visual problems but still nothing comes onto my monitor. I have tried DVI cables and HDMI that I know work properly. Any help?

Solution
I'm pretty sure that you just got false information. The first thing that you described is what is called banding which is normally caused by the video card. But since you changed that out, that shouldn't be the problem anymore. I have no clue why someone would of suggested to you switching out the motherboard as a fix. Just try running the system without a video card and just the onboard graphics. If that doesn't work try hooking it up to a t.v through a vga connection or hdmi if you have that option. If that still fails it would probably point to a power supply issue. Normally a healthy system when you first turn it on will go through a spin cycle with the fan on the heatsink for the processor, normally if it ramps up, and then ramps...

lfkfkfkffs

Admirable
I'm pretty sure that you just got false information. The first thing that you described is what is called banding which is normally caused by the video card. But since you changed that out, that shouldn't be the problem anymore. I have no clue why someone would of suggested to you switching out the motherboard as a fix. Just try running the system without a video card and just the onboard graphics. If that doesn't work try hooking it up to a t.v through a vga connection or hdmi if you have that option. If that still fails it would probably point to a power supply issue. Normally a healthy system when you first turn it on will go through a spin cycle with the fan on the heatsink for the processor, normally if it ramps up, and then ramps down normally the motherboard is in working condition. So first try the onboard graphics, then another monitor or t.v, and if that fails that just points to the power supply. I would just return the new motherboard if power supply works to get some money back. I really have no clue why anyone would of suggested that in the first place. You could try just using one memory module at a time as well to see if that works, but my guess is that this far into it you already have tried to do so.

Solution