[SOLVED] My monitor turns off and on constantly. What do?

Somerandomname

Honorable
Mar 6, 2014
I’m not at my PC right now, so I cannot provide accurate specs and such… I’ll provide them as soon as I can. As a pre-emptive, I did check temps and that and everything is fine there. The card runs a little hot when gaming, but that’s to be expected. Also, everything is as updated as can be.

Anyway, recently, when playing games, my monitor is turning off for a moment and then it turns back on. It does not seem consistent when it turns off, either. Sometimes it will turn off five times in a minute and other times once per hour. I have also turned graphics down low, set them to ultra, fiddled with settings, used windowed mode, et cetera.

To sum it up:

• The monitor turns off and on
  • The power light also goes off
  • After the screen comes back on, a small box appears listing the monitor status (whether it is suing VGA, HDMI, et cetera)
  • Everything is fine until it does it again

The monitor is a bit old, around eight years, so I am due for a replacement. However, I do not want to buy a new monitor and have this still happen. What could this be?

Thank you for your time. :)

Solution
it sounds like the power supply of the monitor is going out.
like any failing power unit reboots (what you describe) happen randomly.
I suggest you try the monitor on a different source, play station, phone, tablet, anything else. verify that the reboots happen isolated from the system and it has to be the monitor.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
I suggest you try the monitor on a different source, play station, phone, tablet, anything else. verify that the reboots happen isolated from the system and it has to be the monitor.

Solution

Somerandomname

Honorable
Mar 6, 2014
I think you may be right. I did some searching around and it seems like the problems mirror my own. When browsing forums/YouTube, it is fine and does not restart, but doing anything intensive causes it to turn off and on.

Sadly, my laptop is dead and my PS4 is in storage, so no other device to test it with. I may just take the plunge and buy a new monitor. I have the money, but it does suck it is right on Christmas.

Thank you! I will keep shopping around and see if I can try to find a way to isolate the issue.