Question My monitor turns off when room light on/off

moking01

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2014
Ive been having this strange behavior of my PC. I have my PC in my bedroom and whenever i turn on/off the lights or even the fan in the same room or the living room my monitor shuts off for like 3 seconds and if im playing a song i lose sound for the same period. Then it turns on again as well as sound.
After a while from every incidense, my monitor shuts down completely as well as sound, but the case itself remains powered on (aio, hdds, mouse, keyboard).

• I thought of a faulty PSU (had a seasonic s12ii 520w) so i replaced it just yesterday with a gigabyte aorus p750w gold certified and the same also happened.
  • Ran an AIDA Systest for 2 hours to stress all parts and check for stability and it went smooth.
  • My RAM passed a 4 phases memtest

Im in desperate need for help as im building a whole new system and i dont want that to happen with my new rig too.

Current build
Ryzen 1600
Asus strix f b350
16gb corsair vengeance 3000
gtx 1060 3gb windforce
ssd kingstone a400
wd 1tb blue
seasonic s12ii 520w bronze

Would a Voltage Stabilizer or a UPS solve this issue? Since i dont really know what causes it in the first place..... very frustrating

Lutfij

Titan
The PSU itself seemed like it was more than capable of delivering power to the entire system. How old was the Seasonic PSU? The Gigabyte PSU sin't a step above the Seasonic though.

I think you're going to need to call in a certified electrician and scope out the wiring in your house/crib to see if there are wires crossed or shared for your room. Often times PC's end up being fried due to wrong wiring. Might I also ask where you're located?

System is powered off the wall socket with an intermediary power strip/surge protector?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Do you get audio from the monitor? The part where audio stops along with the monitor is confusing so is it only the monitor with headphones/speakers connected to it shutting down?

I doubt your monitor is getting power from the psu and is connected to a power socket. Which case it wouldn't have been the psu and if your lights/fans are affecting your devices i would recommend getting your electrical house wiring checked out by an electrician.

moking01

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2014
The PSU itself seemed like it was more than capable of delivering power to the entire system. How old was the Seasonic PSU? The Gigabyte PSU sin't a step above the Seasonic though.

I think you're going to need to call in a certified electrician and scope out the wiring in your house/crib to see if there are wires crossed or shared for your room. Often times PC's end up being fried due to wrong wiring. Might I also ask where you're located?

System is powered off the wall socket with an intermediary power strip/surge protector?
The PSU is like 2.5 years old. And about the Gigabyte, i will go for a return and grab a Focus Plus unit.
I live in Egypt and a "certified electrician" is not a thing here lol. I can get an electrician but he is not certified, let alone being educated at all. They work by experience.
That was an old act of my PC but it used to happen very rarely. Currently it is very frequent. Sometimes i just press the power on button and the case turns on but the monitor doesn't receive any signal.
Interestingly, im very sensitive with my PC and can notice the slightest of changes when it occur. When the above happens, i dont hear any of the HDD's normal spinning sounds. But when i hear the HDD's spinning sound, the monitor also receives a signal.
No power strip or surge protector. Just a cord into a wall socket.

Do you get audio from the monitor? The part where audio stops along with the monitor is confusing so is it only the monitor with headphones/speakers connected to it shutting down?

I doubt your monitor is getting power from the psu and is connected to a power socket. Which case it wouldn't have been the psu and if your lights/fans are affecting your devices i would recommend getting your electrical house wiring checked out by an electrician.
I have my speakers connected to my monitor via a 3.5 headphone jack and i have a separate HyperX Stinger connected to the rear I/O of the mobo. When this happens i lose sounds regardless of both.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
It's either your monitor losing power or both pc and monitor when turning on other power devices. An ups may help but you do have an electrical problem, probably pc + monitor is consuming too much power and your circuit breaker governing this grid in your home can't handle the load.

moking01

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2014
I will start troubleshooting by going with the least expensive solutions. I ordered a not so expensive surge protector and i will connect all power cords to it.
Next should i go with UPS or Voltage stabilizer ? And do i get any of them based on the rated wattage of my PSU ? Or i should consider other elements too such as fans, AC system, monitor...etc ?

TRENDING THREADS