Question My monitor Viewsonic xg2705 (2 years old) cannot enable 144hz

Apr 25, 2022
Before anything, my pc was perfectly running fine on 144hz. I was out of town for 2 days, I live alone so no one could've touched my pc. But when I came back my monitor defaulted to 60hz, which didn't bothered me at first. Then few days ago I started noticing that whenever I boot my pc is not showing my bios. I turned off the fast boot, thinking it was the problem, but that didn't solved it. Everytime my pc boots it just shows me a black screen for a couple of seconds then it'll head straight to my desktop, when I tried spamming "del" or "f2" key to enter bios, this is when I noticed that my monitor only displays bios as a tiny streaks of red kind of like a 5x100 resolution. I can clearly see that I'm in my bios, I can make out the streaks of red and I can see that it's moving whenever I click on my arrow keys. After finding about this, I tried testing if I can turn my monitor to 144hz, and it does the same, it only show me streaks of blue or black or white or whatever color was the program running when I change my monitor refresh rate on the topmost portion of my monitor. I tried to DDU my current, old and nvidia gpu drivers, I tried testing it on another monitor. Surprisingly I can enter bios on another monitor with no problem at all but I can't test 144hz cuz my spare is only 60hz. I also bought a new DP cable and sure that it supports 144hz, I have enabled freesync on the monitor itself, though I can't find how to enable freesync on the radeon adrenalin software. I'm still in denial about my monitor being the problem and hoping some of you experienced this problem before and might've found a way to fix it.

My PC Specs:
Viewsonic XG2705
Ryzen 5 2600
Sapphire Pulse 5500xt 8gb (Formerly gigabyte 1060 6gb)
2x8gb 3200
Aorus x470 gaming 5
246gb ssd

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Out of curiosity, how did you disable Fast Boot, considering you need to get into BIOS in order to do that...? If you're unable to get into BIOS regardless of what you do, even after holding down shift key when you click on restart(option from Start), then you might want to try and disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery. Replace it after 30 mins and see if you're able to get into BIOS, albeit with a warning sign saying your BIOS settings have changed.

If you can boot to OS GUI without issues, you can use CPU-Z to show you what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing. When using DDU, make sure to rid your platform off of all drivers, NVidia and AMD.

Windows 10? If so, what version(not edition) of the OS?

Apr 25, 2022
Out of curiosity, how did you disable Fast Boot, considering you need to get into BIOS in order to do that...? If you're unable to get into BIOS regardless of what you do, even after holding down shift key when you click on restart(option from Start), then you might want to try and disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery. Replace it after 30 mins and see if you're able to get into BIOS, albeit with a warning sign saying your BIOS settings have changed.

If you can boot to OS GUI without issues, you can use CPU-Z to show you what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing. When using DDU, make sure to rid your platform off of all drivers, NVidia and AMD.

Windows 10? If so, what version(not edition) of the OS?

terribly sorry for my sentence construction I got in to the bios and disabled fast boot when I switched to my spare monitor. The viewsonic xg2705 is usable but is capped at 60hz, I can play games, watch videos and do practically everything I normally would, except it doesn't show me my bios whenever I boot. My current OS version is the latest. I have tried removing CMOS for 30 minutes to no avail. I made sure that the DDU removed all Nvidia and AMD drivers.

TRENDING THREADS