My monitor will not find a signal

jmskeoch2772

Prominent
Nov 17, 2017
Hello, I recently have discovered a problem with my monitor and/or possibly with my computer.

This week I have completed my first PC build and was able to install windows, run the BIOS and do everything a normal computer could do just fine, until Wednesday. I was using my computer and then had to go to an appointment for two hours, so I turned everything off, left and came back only to realize my computer cannot find a signal, even though it worked two hours ago. I have tried so many things, such as rearranging ram, unplugging the power cord for 30 secs and plugging it back in, unplugging all wires and plugging them back in again, checked for loose pins, and found absolutely nothing. I've even tried connecting to my router with an ethernet cable, and it did not change a single thing. What really pisses me off though is I'm able to connect to the wifi with a different computer (the one I'm using to write this). I was hoping it was just a temporary issue and it would be back to normal the next day, just like cars sometimes don't work then an hour later they're fine, but I was wrong. It has been two days and nothing has happened and I'm not able to connect to wifi/find a signal. I'm starting to worry if I fried my hardware. I do not know if this issue is a PC to monitor issue or pc/monitor to wifi issue. If anybody knows of a solution it would be greatly appreciative if you could help me out. Thank you to anybody that replies, I hope we can solve this over the weekend <3.

Sincerely,
Jason

EDIT: Just took out mobo battery for 10 minutes and put it back, still have the issue.

Solution
Your GPU has HDMI connection. The dvi to vga cable maybe dedective is one possibility. On the GPU the second connection from top down is the HDMI port. The others are display port.

You can purchase a HDMI cable at walmart or target.

Dave8671

Distinguished
Hi there

What connection are you using with the monitor to the system? HDMI or VGA etc? It would not be a wifi issue for a monitor problem.

Are you using a onboard GPU or PCIe GPU?

I assume you disconnected the cable from the GPU and monitor and re connected them? Are these oarts new or used?

jmskeoch2772

Prominent
Nov 17, 2017

Hey Dave!

I am using a VGA to DVI adapter to connect my monitor (vga) to my graphics card (dvi). I do not know the difference between an onboard vs a PCIe GPU. All I know is theres two 6+2 Pin connectors that i use to plug into the two 6 pin slots in my gpu (2 hanging off to the side). The adapter is new from amazon and was working just fine and yes I tried disconnecting the adapter/cable and reconnecting them.

jmskeoch2772

Prominent
Nov 17, 2017

The power supply is an EVGA 650 Watts and the graphics card is an EVGA Geforce GTX 1070 FTW

Dave8671

Distinguished
I hope this is a gaming PC that graphics GPU is expensive. You could have saved money on that and purchase a EVGA 1050 4GB for 165.00. Buying the latest GPU is a waste of money. Most games will never need that much power. I suggest purchasing a new monitor that can use HDMI. The connection you are using will degrade the signal from digital to analog. It may be that the monitor can not handle that resolution that the card is outputting. With HDMI you will get audio and video in one cable.

You might be able to access safe mode and reduce the resolution than restart below is a link how to access safe mode

http://

jmskeoch2772

Prominent
Nov 17, 2017

Wouldn't hurt to try HDMI I guess. I just don't understand why my PC worked fine two days ago but now it's not. And yes this is a gaming PC. And by the way this monitor can actually use HDMI I think. Theres an HDMI port in the back of it so I'm assuming it can. I just don't have an HDMI cable, or know where I would plug the other end of it in to.

Dave8671

Distinguished
Your GPU has HDMI connection. The dvi to vga cable maybe dedective is one possibility. On the GPU the second connection from top down is the HDMI port. The others are display port.

You can purchase a HDMI cable at walmart or target.

Solution