[SOLVED] My monitor won't stay at 144Hz when using display port

Newguy69

Honorable
Jun 26, 2017
I recently bought a display port cable so I could use freesync for my Dell S-series 144Hz monitor. When I first switched to display port, I could use freesync at 144hz but it reset back to 60hz after a few days leaving no option to switch back on either windows display menu or nvidia panel. When I switch back to my hdmi cable I can get 144hz with no issues. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Faulty cable maybe? Thanks.

Specs:
Ryzen 5800x
EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
Gigabyte Aorus Elite X570
EVGA 750 P2 PSU
Dell S2719 DGF monitor
VESA Certified DisplayPort Cable 1.4, Capshi 8K

Solution
That cable has good user feedback on Amazon bar one or two complaints. Did you try reconnect the cable/ try reverse ends? Not that particular ends matter but see if just the action of replugging each end differently does something.

If you're going to try another cable try from Club3D.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
That cable has good user feedback on Amazon bar one or two complaints. Did you try reconnect the cable/ try reverse ends? Not that particular ends matter but see if just the action of replugging each end differently does something.

Solution

Newguy69

Honorable
Jun 26, 2017

I tried reversing the ends and it automatically switched back to 144Hz but this has happened before and will switch back to 60hz after a day or two. I'll get back to you if/when it goes back to 60 for a more detailed time frame if that's even relevant to the problem.

Newguy69

Honorable
Jun 26, 2017

Ok I'm back. So I guess it takes about 9 days to reset back to 60. Any ideas on what could be causing this issue? There wasn't anything updated that I know of before it reset.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Maybe or gpu / driver. Try ddu in safemode and install latest or older driver from list doing manual search.

Newguy69

Honorable
Jun 26, 2017
Tried ddu and it's still at 60. I just turned on overclock on my monitor to see if that will randomly change anything. For now I just keep unplugging and plugging in my cable whenever it goes back to 60.

TRENDING THREADS