[SOLVED] My monitor's refresh rate is not staying at 144 Hz, and I'm trying to figure out why.

_danielpwils01

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
I don't know if it's an issue with my monitor or display drivers. I recently bought an AOC 1440p 144 Hz monitor, and it's been great.

However, after playing a game for a couple hours and returning to the desktop, I can clearly tell the refresh rate is no longer at 144 Hz. Sometimes it feels like it's back at 60, other times its really choppy and feels even lower, possibly at 30 Hz. I can tell just by dragging my mouse across the desktop.

It's not getting hot so I don't believe it's overheating.

Solution
Might be that Freesync/Gsync is not disengaging. Try play games with fullscreen optimisation off under compatibility for the game's launch app.

Test also, disable then re-enable Freesync/Gsync, whichever you're using, in the gpu control panel software.

If it is related to sync issues, it's most likely driver version you're on has a bug or game doesn't agree with Win10's fullscreen optimisation. That's if you're running Win10.

Can you elaborate more on your system specs, OS and monitor please.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Might be that Freesync/Gsync is not disengaging. Try play games with fullscreen optimisation off under compatibility for the game's launch app.

Test also, disable then re-enable Freesync/Gsync, whichever you're using, in the gpu control panel software.

If it is related to sync issues, it's most likely driver version you're on has a bug or game doesn't agree with Win10's fullscreen optimisation. That's if you're running Win10.

Can you elaborate more on your system specs, OS and monitor please.

Solution