[SOLVED] My monitors refresh rate keeps resetting to 60hz from 144hz after opening some games.

energy980

Prominent
Oct 18, 2020
I have a 144hz monitor. I set the refresh rate to 144hz in windows and in the nvidia control panel. Every time I open some games, namely Skyrim and Minecraft I have noticed, my monitors refresh rate will reset to 60. I alt tab, go to windows monitor settings and click apply (because 144hz is already selected). I go back into the game and it just goes straight back to 60hz. I can't play minecraft in 60hz because it messes with the colors and it looks like someone made a failed 3d mod when its 60hz. Every time I turn the colors blend together and bleed. Thanks for the help.

Solution
Do these games have an Hz setting as well? Even if they did, shouldn't change setting in Windows.

Maybe it's a fullscreen issue? Try disable fullscreen optimisation under compatibility for the game's exe.
I fixed it. I always have this issue. In my Minecraft I have to set resolution to "Current Resolution" or whatever even though I have the resolution set to my resolution.

energy980

Prominent
Oct 18, 2020
Do these games have an Hz setting as well? Even if they did, shouldn't change setting in Windows.

Maybe it's a fullscreen issue? Try disable fullscreen optimisation under compatibility for the game's exe.
I fixed it. I always have this issue. In my Minecraft I have to set resolution to "Current Resolution" or whatever even though I have the resolution set to my resolution.

Solution