My month old laptop is performing a lot worse than the one I got rid of

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Dyal

Reputable
Jan 25, 2015
I switched from the Lenovo Y410p to the Lenovo Y50 after an unfortunate accident. I had extra money so I decided to get an upgrade. But when I try to play games on the new Y50, it performs a lot worse than the old one. Such as game freezing, entire system freezing, low fps at times in game, and weak wifi connection (I've had to restart at least 6 times today because the entire system froze). Some people say the fps problem was from the resolution change (the Y50 has a bigger screen) but when I change it, it really does nothing. As for the constant freezing, it is a new laptop so overheating from dust blockage shouldn't be that big of an issue. This never used to happen with my old one. Can anyone help, or did I just make a bad choice for my new laptop?

Solution
Screen size has nothing to do with resolution. Any size screen can run higher or lower resolutions, up to whatever the supported maximum is. If the older unit had a 720p resolution and the newer one has a 1080p resolution, then yes, you might take a hit on FPS. That doesn't account for any of the other issues though.

The Y50 is known to have overheating issues during intense extended gaming sessions, so it could be related to that, but doesn't necessarily have to be.

I'd start with doing a clean install of the GPU drivers, by which I DON'T simply mean installing the latest ones over older drivers or just uninstalling and re-installing the drivers. Following the steps in the CLEAN driver installation section at the following link...
Issues related to software, the OS or anything unrelated to an actual hardware failure or manufacturers defect are most probably NOT covered by warranty. It's not a failure of the unit if something gets corrupted or there are software related conflicts. At least, that's how they're likely to look at it. As USAFret mentioned, the pre-installations done on most units leaves MUCH to be desired, and a clean slate without all the crap and bloatware will usually leave that all behind.

USAFRet

Titan
For instance....right here next to me I have my daughters couple year old HP.
Disturbingly slow in operation.

Why? It still has all the initial crapware installed. Competing optimization/reg cleaner/AV/CRAP installed.
When I'm done in a day or two, new install with the original license OEM key...it will be far, far faster than it came from the store.

"1535 registry errors. Pay me $40 to buy this, and we can fix it for you!"
Yeah, right.

This happens with old, or new PC's. Recently, it has gotten much worse.

TomDyal

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
Well it's also that this laptop is always wobbly when it's on something (Not the screen but the actual laptop itself ). Like it is bent or something, kind of like a chair with one leg shorter than the others.. I know you guys can't help me with that but i'm kinda tired of putting a little piece of paper under one of the corners every time I use it.

Also when my friend is over with his laptop, it has no trouble connecting to our wifi and running in the room farthest from the wifi in our house ( And his laptop is like a 300 $ one that can't run any type of game ). But mine has a really hard time getting high internet speed in that room and soemtimes won't even connect. Any reason why?

USAFRet

Titan

One of the little rubber nubs under the feet or base has come off.

Which you can probably get at any home supply or hardware center for like a buck with the self adhesive already on the back. It might not be an exact match, but again, they probably wouldn't count that as warrantable. You can always try, but be aware that unless it's still within the return period from the vendor you purchased it from, you're looking at paying shipping to the manufacturer, and probably shipping back as well if they determine it's not a warrantable condition.

Well, that changes things. If the case is warped, it's either been dropped, which I assume you would have mentioned, or it has overheated, and warped the case. If it's still warrantable, either through the vendor or manufacturer, I'd do so immediately. Laptops that get hot enough to warp the case have an issue of some kind.

TomDyal

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
Well I put a couple of pieces of tape under it when I first got it because it was wobbling. But I just took the tape off and it seems to be ok unless i put some pressure on the top left hand corner of the laptop then the bottom right corner lifts up and it wobbles. But when I put pressure on the top right hand corner the bottom left doesn't do anything. Is that weird? Or is it just because of the way the components are put into the laptop ?

TomDyal

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
Oh and sometimes when I'm in the middle of typing it will just randomly open a new tab. That's probably just some windows 8 setting but i'm not sure and it's super annoying

Ok, do this. Download HWinfo and run "sensors only": http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Allow the system to operate normally after opening the sensors window, for about ten minutes. Just ignore the HWinfo sensors and browse, game, do whatever you normally do. After ten minutes, take a screenshot of the temperatures listed for CPU 0, CPU, etc. and post the screenshot here using these instructions:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2546991/detailed-instructions-posting-images-thread-tom-hardware.html

In fact, post screenshots of ALL sensors, maybe we'll see something out of the ordinary. It will probably take three screenshots to get all of the sensors.

TomDyal

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
Well here they are

10zcsvp.png

5e62k5.png

2l9gmq1.png

TomDyal

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
Oh and now in game my cursor is randomly stopping and turning from the game cursor to the desktop cursor and I have to open task manager then re open the game to get it back to the game cursor and allow me to continue playing :(

Since my very first instinct was a heat issue, considering the Y50 has poor cooling and is known for overheating, and you have a warped case, and you have a 60°C core temp with 0% core activity and 0% GPU load, I'd say it's getting or has previously been, seriously hot. At 60°C with no load, and no activity, I'm quite sure this unit is going over 100°C when gaming. What is the ambient temp in the room normally?

Maybe run a game for ten minutes or so with HWinfo open and then take a screenshot of the temps again. I have a bad feeling there will be a pretty high thermal response.

Do you still hear the fans kick on high when you start gaming or running intensive processes?

TomDyal

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
Sorry, I'm going to be at school for the next week. I was just able to respond through the day because I was off on break. ( Don't want you to think i'm ignoring you ) But anyways yeah that was with the game on and my fans kick on when I run games.

Hmm. Very strange that there was 0% CPU or GPU usage with a game running. Something is definitely suspicious here. If those temps were under load I'd say it's probably ok but since I don't see any loads, dunno. Try screenshotting the HWinfo sensors while running Furmark after about five minutes. Leave Furmark running when you take the shot.

You might also run one of the cpu stress tests and take a second set of screenshots. Have you at ANY point in the past installed or used one of the CPU or GPU overclocking utilities?

Considering only one core is at 100% and it's already showing 80°C on the CPU temp, plus the GPU is at 79°C, I'd say it's not unlikely that the unit is getting too hot. Furmark only uses a single thread to run but many games will use two, four or more cores, although most are single threaded still, so temps when the system is using two cores at above 80% are likely to even be higher than the threshold you're already at. It's not exceptional heat right now, but it might have been or could be. I don't know. I wouldn't condemn it entirely but I'd say it's getting near the badlands.

What is the average ambient temperature of the room the unit is in?

Status
Not open for further replies.